Friday, August 20, 2010

Blacktop Watch: Day OVER

So, I got home from work last night, changed into shorts and a t-shirt, put some food down for the cats, and was just kind of puttering around, when I happened to look out my kitchen window and saw my neighbor B. in my backyard.


Whhhhhaaaaa?


There he was, with a lawn chair and a beer, just hangin' in MY backyard.


What fresh level of hell is THIS?, I thought. IT'S NOT ENOUGH that he took over my driveway, now he's gonna take over my YARD? Oh, no. HELL, no. This is gonna stop RIGHT NOW.

I went out into the backyard.

"B.!", I said. "What're you doing over HERE?"

"Waiting to talk to you," he said. "About the driveway."

Just then I noticed his wife, L., heading over. And she was carrying a dish garden full of plants, and a couple of beers.

"We're going to start using our driveway tomorrow," B. said.

"Really?", I said, laughing. "Are you going to throw a party? Will there be balloons and clowns? Am I invited?"

B. laughed, and his wife handed me the dish garden and a beer. "We wanted to thank you for letting us park in your driveway," she said. And we all sat down and had a nice chat and beers.

Awwwwwww.

After thirty-seven days*, the siege is over.

I have my driveway back!




*not that anyone's counting or anything. THIRTY. SEVEN.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but at least they gave you beers and a good story to tell! I love that they're giving you a heads up--like, why not just move the car right now?? Weirdos.

Fish Food said...

Yup, tomorrow not today? Although it was nice of them to bring beers. All a bit strange though!

Fish Food said...

And plants. Plants are good.

rockygrace said...

He could've just waited until I got home and then came over and rang the bell. Instead he was just sitting in my backyard, waiting for me to notice him, which is pretty flippin' unsettling.

Oh, and I SWORE I would never say anything bad about a gift again after that thing with the sunflower, but the dish garden? Was re-gifted. And she even TOLD me it was re-gifted, as in, "Yeah, my kids give me these things all the time, so I thought I'd bring one of 'em over for you."

Ummm ... thanks?

Look, I like these people, I REALLY DO. They're just a little ... different.

As in THIRTY-SEVEN days' worth.