Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I don't know what I'm doing

... I know, what else is new, right?


A couple of weekends ago I was scraping and painting some of the exterior window frames (get away from me, bees!), and I've come to the conclusion that the windows in the bedrooms are really beyond repair. The wood strips between the panes of glass are breaking apart, the windows themselves have an alarming tendency to come crashing back down after you've opened them, and the storms and screens are all akimbo, to the point that some of the storms don't even come off any more.


If I get them replaced by the end of the year, I can deduct 30% of the cost off next year's taxes, so I guess I'm going to take the plunge.


Here are some questions: What kind of windows do you have? Are they replacement windows? Do you like them? Is there a feature you wish they had? Are they vinyl? Wood? Did you hire a local contractor or a "window broker" type place to install them?


Hey! It's called "blog research", people! Totally legit!


Seriously, if you've got any opinions on the subject of windows, I'm all ears.

5 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Ooh, I'll be coming back to see everyone else's comments. We have super-old wood windows and because a few of them didn't even have screens, we finally put the storm windows on and left them on all year round. We'd love to replace them, but since we just replaced our gutters/soffit/fascia, it'll have to wait until another time.

I hope you post how much it costs (if that's not too private of information) because we need to start saving!

rockygrace said...

P&D, right now, for 8 windows, approximately 40" x 43" each, I'm looking at $1700.00 for the windows and $900.00 for the labor, for a grand total of *gasp* $2600.00.

That's for double-hung windows with screens, lifetime warranty, meeting the energy-efficiency requirements for the tax credit.

Badass Nature Girl said...

We are in the process of replacing the upstairs windows. All of the original windows here were wood and I'll never ever have those again! So, yep, we went with vinyl this time.

I love being able to drop them open from the inside and clean them, although it's been too hot to open any of them. We went to Home Depot and got 4 for $766.00.

We hired an independent contractor and he is charging us $600 to put them in, although we've only been able to put two in right now.

We only one do one big project like that every so often (after we get our tax return) and this one had been put off for 10 years! We still need to add a window upstairs and then start replacing them all downstairs too(EESH), but that will probably be another 1o years in the waiting. As per the recommendation of said contractor, we went with American Craftsmen brand.

Good luck! I know there's so much to think about and lots of decisions!

~~Silk said...

This house has Anderson windows, metal, double glazed. They're almost 30 years old now, and in perfect condition. Tight fitting, need no storm windows. However, they are the kind that are hinged on the sides and crank out - and I absolutely HATE that aspect.

rockygrace said...

Thanks for the info, guys.

And yeah, ~~Silk, I've got one of those side-crank windows in the kitchen, and it drives me nuts.