Monday, August 16, 2010

Did he or didn't he?

... show up, that is.

The independent electrician that I hired off craigslist was supposed to start work this morning. But given my history with itinerant tradesmen, I will frankly be surprised if I find him there when I get home tonight.

You see, there's a reason why people go off to work for themselves. It's because they can't hold a job in functioning society.

Ouch!

It's true.

I have never, ever hired an independent repairman who wasn't at least slightly off in the head. Just a few degrees off-kilter, if you will.

And frankly, I don't care if you're crazier than a shithouse rat, if you can competently solve my home-repair problems for a fair price.

The problem? These guys tend to have attendance issues. If you can get one to show up on a promised date, it's like a f*cking miracle. Once you actually get them to the job site, you're golden, as long as everything can be done in one visit, because getting them to come back again once they've left for the day can also be a problem.

So did he or didn't he?

I'm about to find out.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Did. And he watched your tv and ate your cheese.

Rob said...

You are a true adventurer ... But, if you can find a good electrician, plumber and heat/ac guy, you're on top of the world!

rockygrace said...

hahahaha Holly Jane, the place where I used to live got broken into, and the locksmith who came to change the locks advised me not to drink out of any opened containers of milk, because, well ... {shudder}

And Rob, it's true - good repairmen are worth their weight in gold.