Thursday, August 12, 2010

A letter to my dermatologist

Dear Dr. Romeo Morales:

Hi! Remember me? I've been a patient of yours for, gosh, at least three or four years now. Time flies, doesn't it? And in just a few months I'm scheduled for my yearly check-up.

Here's the problem, doc - I've got this rash. I've had it for well over a week now, and it's not getting any better; actually, it's getting worse. What was just a nuisance is now extremely painful and a little bit worrisome, what with all this talk about MRSA and all. I really didn't want to have to go to a doctor for this, but I guess it's time. Seeing as how you're my dermatologist, I thought it might be a good idea for you to take a look at it, and because I've been a patient of yours for a while, I was pretty sure I wouldn't have any problem getting an appointment to see you.

So imagine my surprise when I called your office yesterday, and your receptionist bluntly told me that you didn't have any openings until October, and that I'd better go to a walk-in clinic.

HahahahahaNO. I'm not going to a (trying very hard not to swear here) flippin' walk-in clinic, to a doctor I've never seen before in my LIFE, when I have doctors whom I know.

So I called my primary care physician's office, and guess what? He'll see me at 3:45. TODAY. Not October.

Dr. Morales, it pains me a little bit to say this, but you know what? I don't think you're going to be my dermatologist any more. What good does it do to have a doctor who can't see you for MONTHS when you have a problem? What's the use in that?

So, you know, I'm probably gonna cancel that appointment for the check-up. You know, the one in December. Let's see, it's August now, so that's, hmmmm, FOUR MONTHS' NOTICE. Is that far enough ahead for you? No? Too bad, doc. Too bad.

Sincerely,

RockyCat

7 comments:

Heather said...

Good Lord!! You would think that he would have some time set aside for emergencies! That is ridiculous! He wouldn't be my doctor anymore either!

Hope all goes well with the GP.

~~Silk said...

I DO hope you print this out and MAILED it!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Is there a shortage of doctors in that area? I ran into some problems with my insurance/availability of doctors when I lived there, but I just thought it was me.

It's infuriating that doctors no longer (can) attempt to maintain actual relationships with people. At least you have your primary.

rockygrace said...

You know, I was going to send him a letter, but the receptionist probably opens the mail (and burns letters like that), so I decided to post it here in case he googles himself.

And Kate, this is the first time I've ever called a doc here and been basically refused. (Yes, I have insurance.) I can't imagine continuing a relationship with a doc who won't see you.

I'm off to see my primary care dude, that sweetie.

Badass Nature Girl said...

I know how you feel. I had to make an appointment with mine for the 11th of this month, which was making me wait a month from my call. I had some thing that needed to be removed and it was for my yearly exam too. They called me back a couple of days after that and said they needed to reschedule, which I did, for the 17th of this month.

Well, this thing that needed to be removed was NOT going to wait, it was going to remove itself if it had to and I was bleeding every where.

So, I called them on the 10th and said I needed to get in as soon as possible, and they got me in this morning, with another doctor there. I now have stitches in my back and a burn on my shoulder.

Imagine though, if you will, that I spend 1.5 hours at the school this morning trying to register my kids. I was UNABLE to finish the process within that time frame & left for my doctors appointment that I have to drive 20-30 minutes to get to. I show up ON TIME, pay my co-pay and 30 minutes later I am still sitting there whilst people who came in after me are going back already.

My husband went up to the counter to find out what was going on and we were told it would be just a couple of more minutes.....two seconds later the nurse calls me back & apologizes because since my name was highlighted on my chart page, that means I was already taken back and she didn't know I was sitting out there waiting.

1.5 hours (total) later, I felt a bit of a voodoo doll and if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to the school now to see if I can finish getting my kids registered.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

rockygrace said...

Oh, BNG, it KILLS me to sit and sit and sit in the waiting room. I'd rather wait in an exam room, where at least I can pilfer medical supplies. (kidding)

Hope YOU'RE feeling better soon, too!

Badass Nature Girl said...

lol, I was eyeballing the little basket of free skin care/lotion samples....and actually, I still have a lot left of those from my appointment a year ago.

I am doing well, just slept like crap (again). I don't mind not being to work or mow the lawn for 10 days, but I do miss my workouts already and a trip to the beach.

Keep us posted on your progress--I know you will--especially the absorption of the steroid thru your skin, lol.