Thursday, August 26, 2010

Recently Read

Skip it if you wanna.

1. Thank You For All Things by Sandra Kring. Novel about .... well, it doesn't really matter, because it was so formulaic. Take a character from List A, a situation from List B, and a funny character trait from List C. Blech. I never made it past Chapter 3.

2. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. Bo-ring! I gave it my best shot because it got good reviews, but gave up about a hundred pages in.

3. The Cracker Queen by Lauretta Hanson. Memoir. Interesting, if a little preachy toward the end.

4. Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson. Novel about a woman trying to escape her abusive husband. A fast-paced summer read.

5. The Killing Tree by Rachel Keener. Novel about a young woman who falls in love with a migrant picker - Good, if a little overwrought at times.

6. Roseflower Creek by J.L. Miles. Sample line: "Her face lit up like one them angels I seen on a pretty store-bought Christmas card MeeMaw gave me once." hahahahahaPASS.

7. A World Made of Fire by Mark Childress. Novel about a family, set in the early 1900s. Started out strong, then sputtered and stalled until I gave up about two-thirds of the way through. Meh.

8. Labor Day by Joyce Maynard. Okay, I can't tell too much about this one without giving the plot away. The narrator was an adolescent boy, so it kind of came across as a YA novel, but it was still an interesting, quick read.

9. The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton. Written in 1962, this was about a family and its secrets - Kind of dated, but still worth reading.

10. Addie Pray by Joe David Brown. Novel on which the movie "Paper Moon" was based. About a con artist and a young girl running scams in the thirties - very good!


Okay, that's it for now. Right now I'm struggling through "Lit" by Mary Karr, which is, by my count, her third memoir. I loved her "The Liar's Club", was a little less fond of "Cherry", and at this point, I kind of just want her to shut up about herself already. Sorry, but it's true.

Anything out there I should be reading?

4 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

"Fruitless fall" Rowan Jacobsen

"The Little Giant of Aberdeen County" Tiffany Baker

"Far from the Tree" Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant

"Hannibal Rising"

"The Devil's Labriynth" John Saul

"Eon Dragoneye Reborn"

"The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" Katherine Howe

"The Girl in the Green Glass Mirror" Elizabeth McGregor

"Vanished Priestess" Meredith Blevins

"Fortune's Rock" Anita Shreves

"The Invention of Hugo Cabret" Brian Selznick

"Codex" Lev Grossman

"Magic Bites" Ilona Andrews

"You're not you" Michelle Wildgen

"Notes left behind" Brooke and Keith Desserich

"Dead witch walking" & "Fist full of charms" Kim Harrison

"The Drowning Tree"

..that should get you started :o) I have a couple of these books left here if you think they sound interesting and want to read them, I can send them to you. As you can tell, I read all kinds of different things.

rockygrace said...

Oooooh, I read "The Little Giant" and really enjoyed it.

I'll have to check out some of those others - thanks!

Holly said...

"Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon (and the rest of the series)

"World War Z" by Max Brooks

Anything by Christopher Moore

The Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris is like candy.

The cool ladies around here are all obsessed with the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, but I am 47th in line for the first book. Bah.

note: I don't read realistic fiction, outside Toni Morrison. But I AM a librarian, so everyone should listen to me and do what I say. :)

rockygrace said...

We're not worthy, Holly Jane. :)