Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Put a sock on it

Warning! Discussion of gross medical stuff ahead!

You've been warned.

Okay, so the creeping crud continues to vex me. According to trained medical professionals (i.e., my friends) who've been brave enough to take a peek, it's poison ivy. Or poison sumac. Or possibly poison oak. Definitely poison something. Okay, okay, so they're not really trained medical professionals, but they're all I've got, unless I want to pony up a forty-dollar co-pay at the dermatologist, which, NO, not unless parts start falling off or something.

Here's the main problem at this point: Bandages do not stick to me. Nor does adhesive tape, or cloth tape, or basically anything that's supposed to stick to your skin. They don't stick to me.

I don't KNOW why, okay? Maybe I'm made of Teflon or something. It really presented a problem back when I was having some moles removed and the dermatologist resorted to what amounted to industrial-strength glue to affix the dressings, which worked GREAT until it came time to have the bandages removed, and the top layer of my skin came off along with the dressings. Whoops! Live and learn, Mr. Dermatologist.

Anywho, I've been jury-rigging bandaids and bandages and gauze and everything else you can think of for the past WEEK trying to keep the creeping ooze covered, until I finally hit on a solution. I cut off the foot-part of a crew sock and pulled the leg-part up over my arm. TA-DA! I'm a genius! Patent pending.

Which left the spots on my upper legs, which, I KNOW, how did the crud get on my freakin' THIGHS? Some questions, my friends, are better left unanswered.

I'd rig up a patchwork of extra-large bandaids, slap it on my leg, and watch as it fell to the floor. *sigh* But! Last night, in the middle of the night, I had a moment of clarity: Long johns. I cut the upper-leg parts off a pair of long johns, rolled them over the bandages, and voila! No more falling bandaids.

I'm waiting for the MacArthur Genius Award people to call any day now. I'm gonna be rich! Or, you know, just covered with sock- and long john-parts. Either way.


But wait ..... what's that you say? Ace ..... Ace bandages? That you just wrap around an arm or leg and fasten?

Holy shit, you guys, I'm an idiot. I have an entire collection of Ace bandages, thanks to various sprains and strains over the years, and it never occurred to me until just now that you could use an Ace bandage as, well, a BANDAGE.

Shit. I don't think the MacArthur people are going to be calling after all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, so you arrived at what I was going to say...elastic sprain wraps are great for securing tricky bandages on kids and wiggly dogs,so I assume they'd work on you.

Everybody's body is a little different. I, for example, can't wear a watch. I kill watches deader than a hammer. Something about my electrical charge stops them. I used to think I just didn't like them and so I was whanging them accidentally into things, but as I got older, it became clear that this was my (totally useless) superpower.

Anonymous said...

OK I know this is gross, but my husband had a similar reaction to poison something a while ago and he kept spreading it all over himself when he slept-apparantly he oozed on his sheets, etc? Luckily I was immune. He had to go to the Dr. a couple of times and they finally put him on steriods and gave his a steriod cream. Took 2 weeks of treatment to clean up. You will recover! Maybe runt is getting back at you?

rockygrace said...

Wow, so we've ALL got superpowers - I'm made of Teflon, Bridgett can STOP TIME (how cool is THAT?!), and Anonymous is immune to poison ivy. I think we need to start a club or something.

And yeah, Anonymous, this could totally be a Runt-spawned plot. The Runt's Revenge.

~~Silk said...

[Chuckle]

Rob said...

Helpful tip: Next time you use your Matter Transporter, make sure there are no flies in it.

Seriously, hope you feel better ...