Monday, July 26, 2010

Blacktop Watch: Day And Then My Head Exploded

First off, I'm all wordy up in here today, so scroll down to see an exciting! action! picture! and updates on what's going on. Go ahead - I'll wait.


aaaaaaand here we go with Blacktop Watch.

On Saturday, my neighbor L was out in the yard, and I asked her, nicely, what was going on with her driveway.


"What do you mean?", she said.

"You're still not parking on it!", I said, laughing. "Is there a problem? Did the blacktop not set right?"

"Oh no, no, everything's fine", she said. "We're just not supposed to park on it for two weeks."

"Two weeks?!", I said. "I've never heard of that! It just takes a couple of days!"

"Nope", L said. "B (her husband) said two weeks."

Well, I thought, just a few more days.

And then, and then, B, the husband, was out in the yard.

"A month", he said. "You've gotta let it set for at least a month. I think I'll give it five weeks, just to be sure."

"A MONTH?!", I said. "Who told you that?!!!!! It only takes a couple of days!Didn't it set up right?"

"Oh, it set up just fine", he said. "But if you want the blacktop to last, the longer you stay off it, the better."

and then my head exploded.



Peeps, once blacktop has set, it has set. AND THIS SHIT HAS SET. We are living in upstate New York, not freakin' Borneo. The temps have gone down to the fifties and stayed there overnight several times since that driveway was paved. If it ain't set up by now, it ain't never gonna be, is what I'm sayin'. NEXT, these kind folks are pushing eighty. They shouldn't be buying green bananas, if you know what I mean. They do not need a driveway for the ages. And ANYWAY, the shit has SET. It is DONE.


At the very least, you'd think this would get them to start parking back in their own damn driveway:







That's my driveway. That's their brandey-new car, there on the left. And those two orange blobs on top of the car? That's my cats, climbing and leaving pawprints and scratch marks all over their brandey-new car.

I did not tell them to do that. They just figure, hey, if it's over here, it's ours to climb on!


A MONTH. Or, you know, FIVE WEEKS.


*kaboom*


there went my head.




9 comments:

Little Girl::Big Glasses said...

Isn't that the same stuff they put on the highway, and then we all drive on it, like, 12 minutes later? I call BS. Also, I'd let my kitties walk through paint before letting them out, but I'm kinda mean.

Badass Nature Girl said...

Okay, so see, there's two of us now who have pointed out the highway thing.....and funny that when I told my husband of this situation you're having, the first thing he said was, "They don't want to park on it because they want to keep it looking nice." My thought is then that they should have kept it the way it was.....maybe an anonymous call to the business that did their driveway is in the cards? Wait! Wait! Let's have our beers first, then we'll make the call.....freakin' hilarious about the cats on the car btw and I love their 'expressions and body language' in the pic.

That Hank said...

So, did you tell them they'd worn out their welcome?

rockygrace said...

You know, I don't have the heart to tell them to vamooose. I mean, it's not like they're in my WAY or anything.

It's just starting to annoy me, for some reason. Maybe it's the sneaking suspicion that I may have idiots for neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. And this is why people don't like getting to know their neighbors: Because their neighbors are stupid or needy or unpleasant in some way. I mean, you'd at least think they'd get the hint when you asked them about it. I see a perfectly good street they could park in if they want the driveway to last. Oh, and speaking of lasting, um, yeah, the driveway will last longer if you don't use it, but they have no problem using your driveway? How nice of them.

Heather said...

Hubby just read this (cause I relayed the story to him) and he said that is bullshit! Hubby works in the asphault business and he knows what is what. Whoever told them that is full of it! Soo hubby says.

I sure hope you can get your head back on after the explosion! LOL!

rockygrace said...

Haaa, Kate, exactly. I thought I hit the neighbor jackpot and instead it's coming up lemons. Rats!

And yeah, Heather, pretty much everybody says it's bullshit. Except my neighbor. Maybe he's just too damn stubborn to admit he's wrong at this point.

Unknown said...

Maybe he misheard or confused three days with thirty days. Or got confused because you really should wait a while to seal it (though not park on it...that's just wacky). To be the most generous to his position, you should not park in exactly the same place every single day for a while or leave your RV sitting in the same place...but...um...it is freaking blacktop and you put it on your driveway because it's damn nigh indestructible.

Badass Nature Girl said...

Ya know, my husband just brought up a point...what if their car gets damaged while sitting in your driveway? A few days was one thing, but a month or two?! Then some one mentioned having it sealed.....do they have to stay off of it then too? Me likey my privacy fences and wall-o-trees to keep the neighbors away.