Friday, July 23, 2010

So, this homeless dude walks across a road ....

First off! Scroll down for Blacktop Watch, and scroll even further down for a scintillating tale of a dear friend shivving me in the back!




I was running errands last night and had to stop at one of the longest red lights in town. (Four Corners, I'm lookin' at you!) I had all my windows rolled down because the AC in the Saturn conked out two years ago, and I was just sitting there, waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the light to change.

There was an old man standing on the corner with a box of clothes in his arms and some type of medical braces on both feet. He started to slowly shuffle across the intersection, and I got a little worried, because it was obvious he wasn't going to make it across before the light changed, but I wasn't really paying all that much attention, to be honest.

"Oh, miss! Miss?"

He was standing right next to my car.

"Ma'am, I missed my bus. Are you heading across the bridge? Could you give me a ride?"

"Hop in", I said, hoping I wasn't about to get ax-murdered. But, I mean, it was broad daylight, the dude was old, and he could barely walk, for Pete's sake.

So, I gave him his ride, let him out, and went on my way.

And I just hope to Christ that it's not me some day, thirty years from now, standing on a corner with a box of clothes in my arms and braces on my feet, asking for rides from strangers.

I don't know what is going on with the world today, but that shit's just not right.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That was great of you, risky but great. You just never know anymore, but sometimes you just have to take the chance that they are on the level.

It is very sad to see folks genuinely needing help from complete strangers. I hope it won't be me either. BUT it might!