Thursday, July 08, 2010

Swimming pool vs. swimmin' hole

The weather here's been a steamer for the past week, so I've been investigating swimmin' holes in the creek that runs by my house.

I found a great big one about a hundred yards down the creek. It's big and deep and murky and mysterious and I know damn well that if I went for a dip there I'd spend the whole time wondering when something was gonna grab my ankles and drag me under, so I took a pass on that one.

Then I found another one, even closer to my house, that's about five feet deep and nice and clear, with the creek running right through it to keep the water moving and cool. There's a spot where the creek funnels through some boulders, and you can sit on a rock and put your feet down in there and get a foot massage. Or you can stand in the water and watch the shiners nibble at your ankles. You can bet I spent some quality time there this last weekend. Swimmin' holes have swimming pools beat, any day. And you don't have to worry about the chlorine turning your hair green.

Oh! And in other news, I saw a painted turtle, and some people up on the hill blew off a shit ton of fireworks Sunday night that I could watch right from my front yard, and my neighbor L and her son had me over for a clambake Monday night. I tried everything but the crawfishes, which I just could not bring myself to eat. Too many legs. Too monster-looking.

My neighbor T has a granddaughter visiting from Oregon, and evidently they don't have fireflies out there, because this young woman was just fascinated with them. She's pretty enamored of my cats, too, but unfortunately, they're not returning the favor. I'm hoping they warm up to her, because she's homesick for her Maine Coon.

And I found a peppermint twist phlox at CrapMart the other day which I just had to buy, even though I didn't really have room for it, but I MADE room, and it looks specTACular!

So! Just wanted to throw some good news out there, to get some balance back in my little world. There's always some good news, if you look for it.

2 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

Yay! I'm glad you found some good ;o) I was just talking with a friend the other day about pools versus a natural source of water. I'm for the natural source, hands down and for many reasons.

After working in a farm field for a couple of hours yesterday morning though, I was looking for any water source. When I got home, hubby told me that one of the water cooler containers had a leak & the company told him to just dump the water out?! no! I watered the plants with it and then promptly dumped it over my head.

And btw, I am still enamored by the lightning bugs and got the biggest kick out of my son running around trying to catch them on the 4th (which only lasted about 5 minutes since the mosquitoes were voracious.) There is just something magickal about them :o)

Heather said...

That swimming hole sounds lovely and relaxing. I agree..a swimming hole beats a swimming pool anyday!