Friday, July 23, 2010

Dudes. Duuuuuuudes.

I have got SO MUCH to talk about today, including the homeless guy I gave a ride to yesterday and an expose of Natural Balance "Limited Ingredient" (HA!) cat food and possibly Freaky Friday, but first -

but FIRST -

Okay, back story, I got a raise yesterday. Yippee!, right? And I was talking to a dear friend on the phone last night, and we were just chatting away, and I mentioned that I! got! a! raise!, and do you know she said?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE SAID?

Here's what she said upon learning that I got a raise:

"Really?", she sniffed. "You know, you're ALREADY overpaid, RockyCat."

??????????

What. the. f*ck.

Do you know what I make? DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MAKE?

I WILL TELL YOU. (CAPS LOCK ALERT! DANGER! DANGER!)

After thirty years in the workforce, twenty-three of them in a professional area, last year I took home a whopping

(ARE YOU READY? HERE IT COMES!)

twenty-five grand.

And this woman, this dear friend, who I know for a fact made AT LEAST three times that before she retired, had the f*cking NERVE to tell me I'm overpaid.

Oh, my cheese is grated. I'm not even sure I can be friends anymore. Ooooooh, I'm a steamin'. Who SAYS shit like that?!

Grrrrrr.


So! I will try to cram some more stuff up here later today, because, BOY, do I have a lot to talk about! Don't let me forget to tell you the story about the homeless guy!

8 comments:

inflammatory writ said...

Um. ????

$25K overpaid? ON WHAT PLANET? I mean, I know you live in a cheaper area than me (hello, I live in NYC, which is f'ing expensive as hell), but that's not overpaid anywhere. ANYWHERE. Are you sure she wasn't being sarcastic? Did you tell her to go fly a kite?

rockygrace said...

You know, she was dead serious. I just steered the conversation to another topic, but I am not sure I really want to be friends with this person anymore. I mean, WHO SAYS THAT? About TWENTY-FIVE GRAND?

Badass Nature Girl said...

SCREW that noise!!! Who needs enemies when you have friends like that?! I can't believe she said that to you! Bad enough if she was thinking it, but to let the pie-hole fly open and SAY it?! Wow, just wow.

We are a family of 4, with at least two of us having chronic illnesses, living on 50k a year and we are not making it and I mean NOT making it! Cost of living is higher where you're at too compared to where I live. What a dumbass she is. Sorry. I know she's your friend. She needs to call and talk to this chic that I know that is ranting and raving that her unemployment got cut off, when she flat out told me that when it gets re-instated and she gets her retro pay, every penny of it is going towards her wedding this Oct. The nerve of some people.

~~Silk said...

Does she know how much you make? And if actual numbers were passed, does she believe you? I mean, new house and all....

rockygrace said...

I don't think I've ever told her exactly how much I make - I don't think I've ever told ANYONE how much I make, before I blatted it out here, that is.

My stock reply when someone starts nosing around about salary is "I'm fairly paid for the work I do." Kind of stilted, but it shuts them up.

rockygrace said...

... but that's kind of weird, right? I mean, how could she accuse me of being overpaid when she doesn't know how much I make?

Strange ...

... unless, like you said, ~~Silk, she figures that there's no way somebody can do what I do for a living (secretary) and afford to buy a house .....

Heather said...

That is friggin rediculous! You have every right to never talk to her again! I would be frippin mad too!

There is no way hubby and I could live off 25g and we don't ever go anywhere or do anything.

Fish Food said...

Ooooooooh! That's absolutely shocking that anyone would utter those words out loud, especially to an alledged friend. I am shocked to my core.

Maybe you seem to manage 'too well' on your actual salary so she thinks you're on much more?

I'd so be tempted to tell her what I was on and watch her face fall. Although I remain totally appalled that anyone could say that!