Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Curiouser and curiouser

Remember Jean Stevens? The lady who exhumed the corpses of her husband and her twin sister?

Well, today the local newspaper printed an interview with her. Here's some of what she had to say:

"I think when you put them in the ground, that's goodbye, goodbye. In this way I could touch her and look at her and talk to her."

{shudder}

The article goes on to say:

"She kept her sister, who was dressed in her "best housecoat", on an old couch in a spare room off the bedroom. Jean sprayed her with expensive perfume that was June's favorite.

"I'd go in, and I'd talk, and I'd forget," Stevens said.

"I put glasses on her. When I put the glasses on, it made all the difference in the world. I would fix her up. I'd fix her face up all the time."

She offered a similar rationale for keeping her husband on a couch in the detached garage. James, who had been laid to rest in a nearby cemetery, wore a dark suit, white shirt and blue knitted tie.

"I could see him, I could look at him. I could touch him. Now, some people have a terrible feeling, they say, "Why do you want to look at a dead person? Oh my gracious," she said.

"Well, I felt differently about death."


Dudes. Duuuuuuuudes.

Okay, first off, define "best housecoat". Aren't they all basically the same? Oh, and "expensive perfume". I'm thinking that was mostly a defensive measure on Jean's part. Because even if those bodies were embalmed, well .....

I mean, especially James! He died in 1999, for Pete's sake. Then again, by the time they found his body, eleven years later, there probably wasn't much smell left. But June just died last October ....

Oh, and she's not tellin' who helped her dig up the graves.

Here's a link to the whole thing:

Woman who stored corpses in her house just couldn't deal with death.

Not sure how long they'll keep that link up, but it's there for now. And I see there's some pretty lively conversation going on in the comment section over there.

8 comments:

Fish Food said...

I actually feel quite sorry for her. She obviously missed them an awful lot.

Having said that, I cannot in a million years, imagine that I will be digging Al up should he slip off this mortal coil before I.

Ooooooooh no.

Alice said...

ok, what? WHAT? NO, WHAAAAT!?!?

this is... wow. no. wow. NO.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to get cremated, just to ensure one of my friends or family members does not ever feel the need to exhume me and prop me up in the spare bedroom.

Badass Nature Girl said...

I read that article this morning! I felt so bad for her. She seems like she has a sharp and intact mind, buuuuuuut...how distraught she must have been! I was moved by how connected she still feels to them, and still takes their likes and dislikes into consideration even after death. It just made me sad for her.

rockygrace said...

You know, I kind of felt sorry for her, too, until somebody over on the newspaper site commented that if instead of a ninety-year-old woman who did this, it was a forty-year-old man, well ....

~~Silk said...

Wyalusing is very close to where I went to high school. Frankly, I'm not surprised at the story. What surprised me was that anyone objected. The expected attitude 'round those parts is more likely to be "Well, if she didn't kill 'em, let her keep 'em. Ain't hurtin' nobody." Actually, I kind of feel the same.

Anonymous said...

Along with Silk, I too find that--for lack of a better term--I don't really care that she kept them in her house. Certainly, it's weird, but at least she didn't eat them or have sex with them (that we know of).The thing about the comparison to the 40-year-old is that this woman is practically in the ground herself. She's lonely and scared about death. An otherwise healthy 40-year-old should be able to engage with the living. It's weird no matter how you shake it, but I'm probably more sad than horrified about it all.

Of course, her justification about being claustrophobic is odd. Why not have them cremated if you were worried about them being stuffed in a box? There seems to be some premeditation going on here, which makes it slightly more disturbing to me.

Heather said...

I do feel for the lady.
BUT how is having a dead body in the house any more disturbing than having someone's ashes on the mantel? I find that to be just as bad.

rockygrace said...

I heard on the news this morning that the DA is currently negotiating with the woman - No criminal charges, and she'll even be allowed to keep the bodies on her property as long as she has a proper crypt built. I think she's getting a tremendous break here.

And Heather, I think the difference between ashes and a body is that ashes are not decomposing on the couch. :)

Although cremated remains DO have little bits of bone in them, which is kind of creepy.

This whole thing is kind of creeping me out, honestly.