Friday, December 03, 2010

Santa Claus is Coming to Town: I'm Confused

Okay, so I SWEAR there's a Freaky Friday coming up, but I've gotta talk about Santa first.


As explained in the previous post, last night, I watched "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", the Christmas cartoon. Don't judge; there was nothing else on.



Now, I don't really wanna talk about the creepy way Kris Kringle's pupils kept changing size, and I don't particularly care to discuss the oddness that is the Burgermeister Meisterburger, but I've gotta say ...

... I watched this sucker for the first time in well over thirty years last night, and not only did I remember the salient plot points, I also remembered the lyrics to a disturbing number of the songs.

"It's ... a ... difficult responsibility (doodle-oodle-oodle-oo), when you accept an appointment from his majesty (doodle-oodle-oodle-ooo) ..."

Wait. What?

Keep in mind that there were no VCRS or DVDS or TV On Demand back when I was a kid. The Christmas specials came on once a year, ONCE, and if you didn't catch them when they aired, you were SOL until the next year. So I saw this special ... let's see ... MAYBE a total of ten times, over thirty years ago, when I was a KID, and yet I remember "accept an appointment from his majesty?

Why can't I remember how to conjugate French verbs with such clarity? I don't even remember the first time I had SEX all that clearly, and yet I can remember "accept an appointment from his majesty?"

Man, the brain is a funny thing.

Now please excuse me ... I have to go accept an appointment from his majesty.


Oh yeah! And according to this special, the reason we decorate Christmas trees is ... to commemorate Santa's marriage to Mrs. Claus? Now I've got a headache.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine 30 years ago, it wasn't particularly fashionable to talk about the fact that we put trees in our houses because Christmas is based on a Pagan holiday. That is pretty impressive, though, that you remember all that. I've never seen that program in particular, and all the Christmas shows I watched growing up were taped from TV and watched every year. So, yeah, "Ain't No Hole in the Washtub" from Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas is forever burned into my head, but that's legit.

My word verification: fight

Badass Nature Girl said...

I had the same reaction to the supposed reason for the Christmas tree! What in tarnation does it have to do with the marriage of the Claus's???? I dunno....but I still watch it every year. Mickey Rooney makes a grumpy Santa btw.

rockygrace said...

Kate, I LOVED Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas! Oh, and which pagan holiday is Christmas based on? Was it the whole solstice thing?

And BNG, I kind of feel like they were grasping at straws with the whole Santa's marriage/tree thing.