Monday, December 06, 2010

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas

So, I went to a tree lot yesterday (okay, okay, it was Lowe's) and grabbed a Doug Fir and took it home and wrassled it into the stand and hauled it into the house and set it up in front of the living room window, and man, I'll tell you what -

There is nothing like the scent of a real live pine tree in the house.

Yeah, yeah, technically the tree is dead, and I don't know how politically correct it is anymore to cut down a living thing for my own personal enjoyment and let's not even think about the carbon emissions required to get it to the store and

My GOD I love that smell.


Here comes Christmas!

4 comments:

That Hank said...

I don't think anyone is worried about the "political correctness" of cutting a Christmas tree. It's not like they go out in the woods and chop some local fir down. It's a crop, same as taters.

Holly said...

Hereabouts, they arrive off the barge like a fleet of matchsticks, desiccated and ready to ignite. We have a fakey, and make up for it with a giant Costco wreath over the couch, because yes, that smell is the key to the holidays. it is the scent that gives permission to shove our heads into a whitmans sampler until January. love.

Fish Food said...

I do love the smell of a real tree, but we've got a fake one because I am toooooooo lazy to go and get a real one every year. Much easier to go into the loft and get the old one out again. You've got to go up there anyway to get the baubles and stuff, so you might as well just get the tree too.

I know. Too lazy for words.

rockygrace said...

A tater tree! I like it!

Holly, I imagine fresh-cut Christmas trees must be pretty hard to come by in your neck of the woods.

And Fish, you're not lazy! You're just motivationally impaired. :)