Wednesday, March 31, 2010

..... and I don't even know what nah-mah-stay MEANS

Yoga kicked my butt last night.



As you may recall, I decided to try and get rid of some flabby spots (ew) a couple of months ago, and settled on the thirty-day shred. After a few days, my knees spontaneously combusted, and I had to take a break to recuperate.

I started back up with a "core" workout, which is basically thirty minutes of crunches, which at least gives my knees a break. Oh yeah, and when did sit-ups become "crunches"? Who was the genius who figured out that you didn't have to go all the way up? In any event, I'm just glad that crunches don't require somebody to hold your ankles. Remember that, in gym class? Pairing off to hold each other's ankles for sit-ups? Ah, memories. God, I hated gym class.

ANYhoo, the crunch thing was going along swimmingly, and I decided to alternate it with a "stretching" workout, because if I was any stiffer I'd be plywood. I gradually worked Ms. Michaels back into the mix, and now I alternate between shred, crunch and stretch. The Spanish Inquisition lives!

SO, I was at the dollar store the other day (don't judge), and they had yoga DVDs! For a buck! I bought one, and last night was the big yoga debut, and ....... wow, those people are bendy, aren't they? I don't think my body is ever gonna do that stuff, and this morning, my back and neck are ..... cranky. They are not happy with this particular party.

But! Yoga is fun! You get to do all kinds of funny-sounding stuff. Oh! And speaking of funny-sounding, what the heck is "nah-mah-stay"? And how do you say it? This one girl on the DVD was saying, "nah-MAH-stay", but there was a dude on there who was all, "nah-mah-STAY". Is there discord in the yoga world? Are there warring factions over the proper pronunciation? Is there going to be a schism in Yoga, with one group breaking away from the rest? The suspense is killing me.

Okay, not really, right now it's the yoga that's killing me. Stay tuned - Eventually, I predict that I'll exercise myself right into the ER. It's only a matter of time.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Namaste means "I bow to the divine spark in you." (In other words, it's a demonstration of mutual respect used as a greeting and an ending of the class.)

It's usually pronounced Nah-Ma-Stay.

rockygrace said...

Okay, so what's the word for "I fart in your general direction"? I think that'd be more useful in my everyday life.

Anonymous said...

I usually hear it pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable: NAH-mah-stay.

I'm happy you tried yoga! I always feel so much better after I do it, but the actual doing it part is pretty damned hard. Just be careful with those parts that feel "cranky." It's one thing to be sore from working the muscle, but I've run into problems with my lower back from some of the poses. Basically, the poses should be challenging and feel good. If not, modify them.

As for crunches, well, someone figured out that sit-ups put unnecessary strain on your back. Also, some people can't do full sit-ups or don't have someone to hold their feet, so crunches enable more people to work their abs. I remember having my feet held in gym class. It sucked because it's so easy to fart in that position!

rockygrace said...

Hahaha - we're all about the farts today on RockyCat. Getcher dose of culture here.

Kate, everybody tells me that yoga feels goooooood, but all I feel when I'm doing it is that I will die of embarrassment if somebody looks through my living room window right now.

Maybe I'm doin it rong?

rockygrace said...

Oh, and oh my gosh, Bridgett, I didn't mean I fart in YOUR general direction, of course ... I just meant, you know, like the old Monty Python thing ..... oops.

Anonymous said...

Well, I know I always feel weird when I do something I've never done before, especially if I'm the only one doing it! I'm not sure what town you're living in now, but I used to go to Four Seasons Fitness in Owego, and they have a yoga class taught by a really nice and down-to-earth woman named Lisa. If you ever want to try out a class and see other people doing all the weird stuff you're doing now, I recommend going there. They're very non-judgmental.

Heather said...

This post is making me say OUCH! I just spent the day helping my parents clean house and now I feel like I did all those excersises! LOL!