Tuesday, March 16, 2010

People of Walmart

I had to go to Walmart last night. I try to avoid it whenever possible, and I absolutely WILL NOT go to Walmart on the weekend, because the people there fill me with rage, and there are exponentially more of them there on the weekend. Seriously, I can walk into Walmart on a Saturday feeling just fine, and by the time I leave, I'm ready to go do a drive-by shooting.


So! Weeknights at Walmart are decidedly less insane-making, preferably Monday or Tuesday. And last night, as I was shopping in the (relatively) quiet store, I noticed something that's struck me before: The most crowded aisle in the store is always, always the chips-and-snacks aisle. We're talking, you can't even get DOWN that aisle, it's so crowded.


Least crowded aisle? Fresh produce. It's like a ghost town.


And I was all ready to get all judge-y and shit, but you know what? Fresh produce is expensive. Junk food is cheap. So I get that if you have limited dollars to spend, you're going to spend it on the stuff that will fill you up. I mean, I can totally see why Ramen noodles are so popular with the struggling-college-student crowd. Four for a buck?! Yeah way!


No judging here. Today, at least.

8 comments:

That Hank said...

I don't generally shop at walmart, so I can't say for sure, but is their produce even any good?

rockygrace said...

The produce at my local Walmart is okay. Not premium, but not rotting-with-flies-around-it, either.

That Hank said...

Makes sense. I don't think it would ever occur to me to buy produce at wally world.

Exador said...

I defy anyone to spend 30 minutes in my local Walmart on a weekend and NOT come out hateful and bigoted.

Every bad stereotype is represented in excess.

Rob said...

I go to Walmart when I'm feeling down. A stroll among the Troglodytes always makes me feel better about myself.

rockygrace said...

Exador, that's the problem - "in excess". It's like an overload of yuck.

And Rob, I'm glad it makes you feel better! It makes ME feel like I want to punch someone in the head.

Exador said...

I was going to say "in spades", but I didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

Heather said...

I try not to go to walmart, it has been about a month since my last visit. I buy all my grocery items at H.E.B.

If I do go to walmart, I generally go around 10am on Wedensday. Seems to be less crowded.