Monday, March 29, 2010

Alone

My neighbor T. invited me over for coffee yesterday afternoon. I had chatted with her before, but this was the first formal "visit", if you will.

We went in the kitchen, and coffee was poured, and snacks were had, and we chatted. Visited. And she told me about her grown children, and her grandkids, and her friends, and trips she takes to Oregon. And she talked about her husband, who died of cancer three years ago at the age of eighty-two.

And I thought how sad it must be, to have spent your entire adult life with someone else, and then to have them die first, leaving you all alone for the first time in fifty years. I remember how lost my Mom was when my Dad passed away. She didn't even know how to balance a checkbook, for Pete's sake - Dad always did that stuff.

After our visit was over, I said my goodbyes to T. and went back to my place. And I thought, Wow, how lucky I am - at least I'll never have to deal with that. I'll never have to fight panic at the passing of someone I spent my entire life with.

Because I'm already alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have so many things I want to say all at once to this post.

1. It's possible to spend your whole life with someone and still be/feel alone. That might even be worse.

2. These kinds of thoughts are the primary reason I've changed my mind about having kids.

3. A couple summers ago when I spent some time with my grandparents, my grandma said that she hoped she would "go" first because she thought Opa could handle living without her better than she could live without him. Then, separately, he told me that he wanted to be the first to go for the same reason. It was cute and depressing all at the same time.

4. To end this comment on a positive note, you might be alone now, but it doesn't have to be that way for the rest of your life. You have plenty of time to make an impact on someone else's life.

rockygrace said...

I realize that this post came off as depressing, and I really didn't mean it to be - I was just kind of stating a fact: I'm alone.

I am glad I never had kids - hell, I didn't like kids when I WAS a kid. And from what I've seen of my friends' kids, they are certainly no guarantee of comfort in your old age.

And like I said in the post, I'm also glad that I'm living this right now, and won't get hit with it when I'm in my eighties, 'cause that would suck big-time.

Don't worry, no slit wrists over here!

Heather said...

I'm so glad that you spent time with her. I can just imagine how lonely she must be. Sadly I will be her in the future and I hope to have someone to entertain and chat with.