Monday, February 14, 2011

Maybe I'm an elitist

So, I was in a Walmart checkout line yesterday afternoon, when I noticed that every other person in line was a guy with flowers and candy and a Valentine's day card.

And my first thought was, really? Walmart? You're not even trying, dudes.

And then I was all, well, look at you! You're shopping at Walmart, too, so what's the big deal?

The big deal is, I was not buying flowers and candy and a card for my damn LOVED ONE, is the big deal.

Honestly? If I was dating a guy, and he brought me Valentine's day flowers with a big ol' Walmart UPC sticker on the side of the wrapper?

I'd seriously have to re-evaluate the relationship.

Because to me, "Walmart" equals "cheap".

Yeah, yeah, I shop there too, but not for shit that matters. Not for shit that is supposed to mean something to someone else.

But! Maybe it's just me. What say ye: Flowers from Walmart for Valentines day: Yea or Nay?

Oh! And in other news, for Valentine's day my cats brought me a bright red cardinal, which they had dismembered from one end of the hallway to the other by the time I woke up this morning.

At least they put in an effort.

4 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

I am actually okay with getting flowers and such from Wal-Mart, and it's not unsual for the Mister to get things for me from there. That might be in part due to the convenience, but it doesn't matter to me either way. It's the thought, and the effort that counts. He could not get any thing at all, but it still takes some thought and effort to pick those things up, even if from Wal-Mart. I actually tend not to get him any thing, and this year is no different.

Anonymous said...

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, so yeah, I wouldn't be very happy with gifts from there either, but not because of the cheap factor. I'd rather have a heartfelt card, a homemade gift, a foot massage, or nothing.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy with my flowers from Wal-Mart because for my guy to actually GO to a store took effort-seriously, he won't even shop for his own socks. Plus, I know how stupid he thinks Valentine's Day is. Though when we were dating this would not have been acceptable-but now that we share a bank account-cheap flowers are great.

Fish Food said...

Well, Al and I have become infamously tight fisted with dosh after the last couple of years of un/employment.

Even though we had that lottery win (with huge gratitude!) we are mindful of our kids' university / college fees and don't spend on things which aren't necessities.

We recycle & re-use our valentine's card from 2 years ago... I know. Sad.