Monday, January 24, 2011

Windshield wiper theory

When I got up this morning, it was thirteen below in my backyard. By the time I left for work, it was fourteen below. What is this, Minnesota or something? Jeez.

I ran out of ketchup on Saturday night, which ... how does that even happen? I thought ketchup was one of those self-replenishing condiments.

I managed to sneak a few more loads out of the old washer. It could have been a clustermess of epic proportions, but I lucked out. The new washer comes this Saturday. Yay!

Saturday morning I laid* in bed watching Little Girl chatter away. She was up on the dresser, looking out the window, watching a bird or something. When the excitement's more than she can take, she starts to open and shut her mouth, rapid-fire, making a little "click-click-click" noise. It's cute as hell. She's wishing she was outside eating the HELL out of that bird.

It's been really cold here at night, obv. I noticed the other morning that my neighbor's windshield wipers were pointing toward the sky. At first I thought maybe one of his grandkids had done it as a joke, but now I notice that every morning, the windshield wipers on both his and his wife's cars are pulled away from the windshields. Now, this is the neighbor who insisted that he couldn't park on his driveway for FIVE WEEKS after it was repaved, to give it time to "cure", so he's got some pretty out-there theories, but this windshield-wiper thing was new one on me. I am assuming that it is ... I don't know ... to keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield? YA GOT ME. Anybody?

Oh, and maaaaan, I shoulda put some money on those games yesterday, 'cause I called both of 'em. The only surprise was that the Steelers didn't beat up on the Jets worse than they did.

How cold was it at your place this morning? Can anybody beat my fourteen-below?




*Is that right? I have no idea.

9 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

You got me beat on temps. We're at 18 degrees.

Pickles and Dimes said...

Not sure how cold it was today, but I am dying for the gas stations to open up their car washes so I can finally wash my filthy car. Maybe when it's 20 degrees later this week...

~~Silk said...

"Lay" is the correct tense there.

Lifting the wipers does prevent their sticking to the glass. I'm surprised that living where you do, you'd never seen it before. I do it any time there's a chance of freezing rain, or if there will be snow before the windshield cools after driving. The only danger in lifting them is that some kids think it's an invitation to snap them off.

Holly said...

Well, i'm wearing long sleeves... But to make up for the warmer temperatures, I woke up in a puddle of cold toddler pee. So there you go.

rockygrace said...

Ha, BNG, I win! Or, you know, lose.

Pickles, I washed my car last weekend at the do-it-yourself place and almost froze to death, so don't rush anything.

~~Silk, I always just use the ice-scraper to bust the wipers loose if it looks like they've frozen. It never occurred to me to pull them away from the windshield. And I can honestly say I'd never seen anybody else do it, until I noticed my neighbor's cars. Hmm.

And Holly, toddler pee sounds pretty bad. Sorry about that. But then again, you live in Paradise, so SHUT IT. :)

Anonymous said...

Silk got it! Maybe we need to come up with a new word to use in play of that blasted one. I definitely can't beat your -14. We just figured out where Monterey hides its summer-- in January.

Danger said...

When I was a social worker, one of my mental health patients suggested I leave my wipers pointing up.

Just sayin'.

Badass Nature Girl said...

I had to ask hubby about this and of course, we've all come to the consensus that it's to keep them from freezing to the windshield. He said the guys out at the mill do it all of the time, and nobody really bothers with them.....except for the one time that a guy had his snapped off like Silk mentioned might happen. We're like you though. We turn the defrost on fullblast for awhile and ice scrape whatever ice is left.

~~Silk said...

Lifting the blades makes it easier to scrape, too.