Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The hits just keep on comin'

So, continuing on with our recent theme of "who can you trust?", a little over a year ago I bought a reconditioned washer and dryer from a friend of my boss. This guy has owned a local appliance store for years, and when he offered to sell me a used washer and dryer for three hundred bucks, I said sure.

Flash forward to Saturday, when the washer decided to create Lake Soapsuds in my garage, and this morning, when the washer/dryer guy's repairman informed me that the tub seal was shot, and that it would cost three-fifty to fix.

*sigh*

Was it rude of me to actually burst out laughing when he gave me the number?

No, I am not going to pay three-fifty to fix a machine that only lasted for a YEAR before giving up the ghost. (Kenmore Series 80, if anybody's curious.) And now, of course, washer/dryer dude is trying to convince me to let him sell me a brandy-new washer for the lowlow bargain price of two-ninety-eight.

And, of course, we still have to factor in that he charged me seventy-five bucks to send out a repairman to tell me that it would cost far more to repair my washer, THAT HE SOLD ME, than the washer is worth.

Man, I hope spring hurries up and gets here. It's a long damn winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. you'd think he could knock off the repair "step out" fee to try and get the sale.
sorry about your luck. How's the kia doing?

rockygrace said...

See, that's the thing - this dude bitches about how bad business is, but refuses to cut anybody a deal to make a sale. I mean, COME ON, that repair guy was at my house for, like, TEN MINUTES.

So far so good on the Kia! I thought I'd spend a few weeks wandering around store parking lots looking for my (old) car, but it hasn't happened yet.