Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sunday in the Park

Once Labor Day weekend is over, the local parks empty out. Here's the parking lot at Greenwood on Sunday:







Helloooooo! Anybody home?


I've gotta tell ya, everybody who begins hibernating in early September is starting way too early. There's still plenty of passable weather left before winter settles in. It's not too hot, so you don't get all sweaty hiking, and the gnats and horseflies and mosquitoes are gone. The deer are moving through the woods; I saw a HUGE buck on Sunday.


The trees may be past peak, but they're still pretty.






And the forest just glows this time of year.




Once the people leave, the geese settle in.




I never really understood the phrase "as slick as goose poop" until I started hiking at Greenwood. Man, that shit is slippery. The trick is to avoid the geese-ful areas.


They are calling for snow here on Thursday *shudder*, but I'm sure there will still be good days left. And the woods are calling. I can't turn 'em down.

6 comments:

Birdie said...

I have been sucking every bit out of the nice days. Not many left but I have so much to do in my yard. Geese. There are a lot in that picture!

Shalini said...

I hate geese. I hate goose poop even more. It's everywhere, and yes, it's slippery. Rats of the sky.

Badass Nature Girl said...

Man, I'm with you. It's still too beautiful in the woods to stop going in them this early...hell, I'd even go when there's snow. I love how trees look when the snow adheres to them. But I hope it doesn't snow this week for you. It doesn't feel right this early. We had a thunderstorm a couple of nights ago, and chances of them at any moment. 70 today, 50's tomorrow and for the rest of the week...so they say.

Becs said...

Need...more...pictures...of..Dumpplinnn....

rockygrace said...

The geese are basically a big pain in the ass. The local parks hire people with special dogs to try to chase them away. They used to migrate South every fall, but every year more and more of them stay.

and Becs, the kitties have moved on! Sorry, no more pictures of Dumplin - unless you go on Petfinder or one of the other pet-adoption sites. Search for baby cats in zip code 13904 and he's there.

rockygrace said...

oops - looks like he's not up on Petfinder yet - he is on adoptapet.com, though, if you need a Dumplin fix. I could use one right about now ...