Monday, October 24, 2011

After


A month and a half after the flood, entire neighborhoods not far from my house still look like this:






House after house, with the contents out at the curb.





And I remain so, so grateful that my house stayed dry. I cannot even imagine sitting here at the end of October with a gutted house.


If your house is gutted and empty and waiting for the FEMA money to start rebuilding? I'm very, very sorry. I can't even imagine.



If your house is warm and dry today? You might want to give a little thanks.

7 comments:

Badass Nature Girl said...

That's so sad, and with winter coming too. And holidays. Ugh.

Birdie said...

My furnace is broken today and is blowing cold air that we can't turn off but I am wrapped in my robe and my sweetie is making apple pie and I am so grateful.

rockygrace said...

It's the little stuff that gets me - I was going to go to Home Depot the other day, except ... Home Depot isn't there anymore. Oh, the building's still there, but they got six feet of water, and the business left.

and Birdie, I hope your furnace is fixed soon!

Shalini said...

Am giving thanks right at this moment. good reminder. I'm so sorry your neighbors have gone through so much. Ugh.

rockygrace said...

R(ac), I've gotta ask - why is your chicken crying?

Becs said...

There are houses in my neighborhood with hills of junk outside. I still have a few bits on my driveway. I know there are still places within five miles of me that aren't livable. Sad all around.

rockygrace said...

Becs, I know you went through this - it must have been awful.