Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Random

My mom (87; Alzheimer's) is convinced that there is a family living in my sister's poolhouse. (Trust me; there isn't.) She was chatting away on Sunday about how they just had a new baby boy. It's kind of spooky.



I cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeder for the last time on Saturday. I haven't seen any hummingbirds since the end of September, but I'll leave it up for another week just in case. Cleaning that thing out once or twice a week is a pain in the ass, but taking it down in the fall means that winter's coming. I'd keep cleaning it out year-round if it would just stave off winter.


I've been saying/thinking "knock-knock, motherf*cker" an awful lot lately. I think I've been reading too much of The Bloggess.



I started to put up Halloween stuff on Saturday but I didn't finish it; I just didn't have the heart for it, remembering how last year The Runt helped me out:




My God I miss that cat.








I saw a thing on 60 Minutes about Vincent Van Gogh. It turns out he completed most of his paintings in a day; sometimes only a few hours. So, is "The Starry Night" still a masterpiece if he knocked it off in an afternoon? It's really funny; I always thought that the great painters took weeks and months to complete an important piece, but turns out old Vincent there was cranking 'em out in the time it takes me to eat a bag of chips. Who knew?




I just bought the most fantastically awful soapdish EVER. I really should save this for a future Freaky Friday, but it's too good not to share:





It's a boy. On a dolphin. Painted gold. Holding a soapdish. For some reason, I'm picturing this in a Kardashian bathroom. What can I say? It was three bucks. I couldn't resist.

8 comments:

~~Silk said...

That's why ol' Vincent couldn't get any respect from his contemporaries. Or potential patrons. His paintings DO, unfortunately, look like they were knocked out in a few hours, what with the broad strokes and lack of detail.

rockygrace said...

Honestly? I never thought Van Gogh was the shiz. Then again, I just bought the world's tackiest soapdish, so what the hell do I know?

Shalini said...

Wow, now I feel a little less proud that I do laundry every day. I'm not cutting off my ear or making a painting. Hmm, but laundry IS almost as impressive, right?

Rob said...

Definitely the most awesome soap dish of all time. You need to build an annex onto your home to highlight all of your incredible finds and charge admission. You'd never work another day in your life.

rockygrace said...

R(ac), you're darn tootin' that laundry is almost as impressive.

ha! Did I just say "you're darn tootin'"? Why yes. Yes I did. Holy F*CK I'm old.

and Rob, I think you're on to something - The Museum of Weird Shit. It would be like the Museum of Bad Art.

You know what? I swear that if you walk into my house, it looks normal. It's only if you start looking a little closer that you start noticing the weird stuff. Although I DID put away the animal bones when I started fostering for the cat rescue group. I didn't want them to get the wrong idea ...

Anonymous said...

OMG. Thank you for saying that bit about the Museum of Bad Art. I didn't know it existed, and now I'm in love. I also love the soap dish. Who decides to make this weird crap?

Logical Libby said...

That's too good for soap. You need to put condoms in it. Multi-colored condoms. Right by the front door. You know, for guests.

rockygrace said...

Kate, I like to think that Kim Jong-il had it commissioned especially for him.

And Libby, you're absolutely right - it's far too "special" for soap.