Friday, August 05, 2011

Like I said, it's not about the names, per se ...

I have a confession to make. I have been cheating on my shelter.



Trying to find a match for Little Girl, I've been back to the shelter several times. Things are getting ... odd there. I'm NOT going to go into details: Let's just say I've visited another shelter.
And right now, between the two shelters, there are four possible matches for Little Girl. They are:



1. Linus






Linus is a medium-sized cat who is two years old. He was found hit by a car. The shelter's vet says he will be fine. He is friendly and relaxed, although he looks like he's about to have a panic attack in that photo. (Photos are not mine.) He looks a little bit like The Runt.


2. Scooter. I do not have a picture of Scooter. He is a very friendly, medium-sized tabby cat who gets along with other cats and is two years old. Actually, Scooter looks a lot like:



3. Curious George.




Curious George is six years old and is friendly and, well, curious. He has been at the shelter since July.

4. Turtle.


Turtle is a big, two year old cat who is described as "the most laid-back cat at the shelter". He has been at the shelter since April. The only downside to Turtle is that his size might intimidate Little Girl. Then again, virtually any cat except for a kitten is going to be bigger than Little Girl.



Complicating things, because with me things ALWAYS get complicated, is the fact that three of these cats are in a shelter that keeps their cats in individual cages, meaning the poor things have no room at all to run or play. The fourth cat is in a shelter where the cats are kept in "runs", meaning he has room to walk about or play as he chooses. The rescuer in me is saying to jailbreak a cat from the individual-cage shelter, but I also feel that with the cat from the "run" shelter, at least I already know that he can get along with other cats, although then again, some of the cats at the "run" shelter seem to have developed aggressive traits as a survivor mechanism.

Frankly, I feel that ANY ONE of these cats would be a good match for Little Girl.

Gah. Making decisions is HARD. Feel free to advise me in the comments!

7 comments:

rockygrace said...

Ha! You guys aren't touching this one with a ten-foot-pole, are ya?

It's like a damn Sophie's Choice ...

Holly said...

George! My kitty-racism says that orange cats are yowlers and grey stripey ones are smarter.

rockygrace said...

George? Yeah, he's definitely in the running, especially since he's a bit older than the others and the older cats have a harder time getting adopted ...

I am going back to the cage shelter tomorrow to spend some more time with the three "possibles" there ...

p.s. thanks for having the guts to comment, Holly - the rest of you are BIG CHICKENS. bwok bwok bwok ...

Anonymous said...

My vote goes for Scooter or Curious George. I don't know why. I didn't participate in the name game, but I have a habit of calling my cat Scooter anyway (despite her name being Kira). Then again, I call her Noodle and other various non-Kira names. So, yeah...where was I? Scooter or George.

Anonymous said...

Definitely Turtle. Trust the shelter staff to know a laid back cat when they see one. I took the shelter lady's advice on a teenage kitten that could only charitably be called unusual-looking and wound up with the best companion ever - and he partners well with cat 1 :-).
Good luck!
Kris

Becs said...

Oh, man. It's so hard to choose! Turtle looks scared to death. The first one just looks so sad. Sorry I can't help you out with this one.

Holly - I have kitty-racism, too! This is why I yearn for a big orange boy. The orange ones have always been the sweetest. And I have had two torties that definitely lived up to the "tortie-tude" wisdom.

rockygrace said...

Thanks for your thoughts, guys - I'm on my way to the shelter now. *gulp*