Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It's like the Deer World is trying to contact me


It all started with the antlers from Jimay's. Then came the Big Box O'Antlers. Then there was the deer bones by the side of the road. After that came the bones I found by the creek.


On Saturday, I was out mucking around and found yet another area where deer had been field dressed last fall.





These remains have a little more, well, decomposing to do before I'm willing to load them in the back of the wagon. I'll keep an eye on them.


And then, Sunday, I was out walking someplace else, and looked down and saw a big ol' antler just laying on the ground:




Look how big this sucker is!:




Did you know that white-tailed deer shed their antlers every year? I did not know this. In all my time wandering around in the woods, I had never found an antler. Until yesterday. I had always assumed that you could tell how old a buck was by how big its antlers were. Silly me. Although, as it turns out, in general the older a buck is, the bigger its (annual) rack will be, so I wasn't totally off base. Just some.


But with all these bones appearing to me, it's like the deer are trying to tell me something. With their bones. I just can't figure out what it is.


Maybe they'll get ahold of me via the radio station in my house.

7 comments:

~~Silk said...

I spend a lot of time in the woods, and we have a lot of large beasties around here, but I never find stuff like that! I'm jealous. The most I ever find is mouse and bird skeletons, feathers, and the occasional rotting 'possum or 'coon body.

Heather said...

Well, i can't even look at that first pic, without my tummy lurching. Cool antler though!

Fish Food said...

Sheesh, it's still got teeth!

Unknown said...

Don't forget the horned saint...

rockygrace said...

Sorry, guys, I didn't mean to gross anybody out with that pic.

~~Silk, I've found mouse and bird bodies, like with the flesh still on them, but never any skeletons. That would be cool.

And Bridgett, OMG the HORNED saint. (Which, of course, is actually a flame, but still.) Holy sh*t.

Anonymous said...

I think the deer want you to reassemble them so they can come back from the dead or maybe so you can perform some crazy Pagan ritual.

rockygrace said...

.....zombie deer? NO THANKS.

And I don't KNOW any crazy pagan rituals. I'd have to get ahold of Aunt B (Tiny Cat Pants) for those.