Friday, April 16, 2010

Freaky! Friday!

First off, many thanks to the kind Jess Riley, who sent me milkweed seeds to plant. Thanks, Jess - I can't wait to get started.

Also, the lawn-mowing-Mexican-standoff in my neighborhood has officially ended. Everybody was holding off on mowing their lawns, knowing that once they started, the lawn-mowing season would carry merrily on for the next SIX MONTHS. So everybody was waiting, waiting for a neighbor to mow first and shame them into mowing their own lawn.

I resisted the peer pressure when T. across the street had her lawn mowed, but when L. right next door to me mowed? I bowed.

Lawn-mowing season has begun. *sigh* On the plus side, that's a pretty good sign that snow-shoveling season has ended.


Okay, on with Freaky! Friday!

I picked up this book at a thrift store (where else?) - it's a Christian Science book. An inscription on one of the title pages is dated 1919, so it's at least that old.




The thing that kills me about this book is the seal on the cover:



In case you can't see it, it reads "Heal the sick - Raise the dead - Cleanse the lepers - Cast out demons."

Raise the dead? Sounds like zombie action to me. Count me out.

6 comments:

Fish Food said...

Fantastic! Day of the Zombies...

Heather said...

Okay that is freaky! Christian science..just the two words together make me laugh. I can't even imagine what that seal is all about.

Unknown said...

If you want to learn about a particularly weird belief of Christian Scientists (well, weird to me, anyhow, and I've got a pretty wide strike zone when it comes to other people's dogmas), look up Malicious Animal Magnetism.

Becs said...

Er...milkweed? Really? Because it is, um, a weed. Just sayin.

the queen said...

Milkweed - areyou trying to attract monarch butterflies?
inscriptions - often in the 'olden days' people would write the date of their birth instead of the current date. I wondered my 1890s book had an inscription of "1880."

rockygrace said...

Bridgett, sounds like the Scientologists ain't got nothin' on these Christian Science peeps.

And yeah, I'd like to help out the monarchs. You can check out Jess's blog to get the details:

http://jessriley.blogspot.com/2010/03/gm-great-malarkey-general-mayhem.html