Thursday, April 29, 2010

More hare-brained schemes than Lucy Ricardo

So! Some of my mail-order plants arrived yesterday. You know how it goes: They show giant, full-grown bushes in the catalog, and what shows up on your doorstep is a couple of sticks with a few leaves on the top.

I was going to put the weeping cherry out in the far corner of the backyard. But right now it's only about six inches high; if the lawn mower doesn't get it, the deer/rabbits/whatever-else-is -roaming-around-back-there surely will.

I think I have a plan. I think I will plant that weeping cherry in a pot-with-drain-holes, and then plant the pot itself in the garden close to the house where the lawn mower and the deer can't get at it . In a couple of years, when the plant is hopefully bigger and more able to cope with the wild wild west of the far backyard, I'll dig up the plant, remove the pot, and re-plant the plant itself where it's supposed to go.

That's it - my Cruise-azy idea. Is genius! Or not? What do you think?

3 comments:

~~Silk said...

It'll work just fine. Plant, then transplant. The roots will probably wrap around the inside of the pot (get a big one) so when you transplant it you'll want to untangle the roots so they don't strangle themselves as they grow. Little Cherry will thank you.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great idea, but I agree with Silk, it's gonna have to be a very large pot.

rockygrace said...

Big pot it is! Thanks, guys!