Monday, April 12, 2010

Awake and dreaming

First off: TURRRTLES! The turtles are up out of the mud and sunning themselves on logs and rocks. Welcome back to the topside, guys! A hearty welcome as well to the snakes and the rabbits, also spied out and about this weekend. See also: Mayflowers, spring beauties, skunk cabbage, bluets and trout lilies. The fauna and flora are back in abundance.





Okay, here's a weird thing. On Saturday morning, around six-fifteen, I had a dream. (I'll keep this brief; I promise.) And in the dream there was a radio playing really LOUD. I woke up, and I could still hear the radio. At first I thought that one of the cats had knocked over the radio in the bathroom and it somehow turned on, but as I listened, it sounded like, you know how when you're dialing around to find a station and you somehow get in between TWO stations and you can hear bits and snippets of both?



Except it was just, like, syllables. Like, "kay-do-me-by-ee-lan-ma-dee". Really LOUD.



And I laid there, wondering, what the heck IS this radio station? And where is it coming from? And I thought, well, maybe the paperboy's got a radio. But instead of sounding like it was coming from one specific place, it sounded like it was all around me, like I was in the middle of a stadium and all the speakers were going at once. LOUD. And I was pissed off, because THIS IS WHY I MOVED.


And then, just as I was about to get out of bed and find out what was happening, the sound started to fade. Over the course of about a minute, it went away completely.


Okay, the way I see it, there's two options here:


1. I was still dreaming. Waking up and still hearing the noise was all part of the dream, and I woke up for real some time later.


2. The mothership came back for the damn winged rabbit, and was hovering over my house beaming down instructions for return to the homeland.



The rabbit's still in the kitchen, so I guess I've gotta go with option 1.


But it was still weird.

6 comments:

~~Silk said...

More options:

3. One part of your brain was fully awake, but another part was working through some stuff and still "dreaming". Sort of like when you're driving late at night, and too tired, and see stuff that isn't there. Hallucinations. Auditory hallucinations, this time.

4. It's actual radio transmissions, picked up by something in your house, maybe the wiring (accounting for the stereophonic effect) due to a weird atmospheric quirk.

5. The gym swimming pool at my college was on the highest hill in the area, and if you had metal fillings in your teeth, you could hear the local radio station underwater. We all got good at holding our breath. Similar to option #4, but closer to home.

Fish Food said...

Something similar happened to me on Saturday morning too. I was sleeping and I could hear all this noise, which I can only describe as 80's whale music.

It was so awful that it woke me up and I could STILL hear it.

It freaked me out a bit until I realised that Al was playing a new Jeff Beck album.

HA!

Call that music?

Anonymous said...

Dude, I think something similar happened to me this morning! It didn't last for much longer than a couple seconds, though. You were probably still dreaming, although, as Silk said, maybe there was some weird radio transmissions coming through. The speakers from our old computer used to transmit CB radio chatter once in a while, and it was always really late at night (to ensure maximum creepiness, I'm sure).

rockygrace said...

At least I'm not the only one ....

~~Silk said...

Since several people mentioned it having happened over that weekend, I'm now wondering if there was any unusual sunspot or aurora activity that might cause radio wave disruption.

Heather said...

LOL! That was so funny. At least it was a radio dream and not the wake up and go to the pot dream, that wakes me up real quick or there will be an accident.