Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The bluebell thief

I was down by the creek the other day and discovered a huge patch of bluebells growing wild. We're talking at least a hundred plants. So I went back to the house, grabbed a spade, and dug up a couple of them for the garden.

I am a bluebell thief.

Now, as far as I can tell, bluebells are not endangered in any way. This particular patch of bluebells possibly arrived via the recent floods, as they're in an area that got about three feet of water in January. And, the spot where they're located is very likely going to be overrun by Japanese bamboo in a few years, as it's already within about thirty feet of the bluebells.

Justification blah blah blah

I stole some bluebells.

And just the other day I noticed a bunch of ferns popping up where the new playing fields are going to be put in .......

6 comments:

Little Girl::Big Glasses said...

The house next door to me is being gutted and remodeled and I am considering sneaking over in the night and stealing all the perennials that the previous owners planted b/c I know they'll end up being killed or dug up or trampled anyway. Right? They probably will, anyway. Most likely. So I'm SAVING them. Please validate my theft.

Unknown said...

I do this all the time, but I try not to do it on public property any morebecause the city gets really mad when a person digs up the tulip bulbs that they THROW AWAY. Ahem. Not that I know anything about that personally...

Fish Food said...

My mum takes 'a cutting' of everything from everywhere. My daughter used to call it theft but we all know it's just propogation, don't we?

Rob said...

I've found that my neighbors are an unending source of fresh flowers, bulbs, lawn ornaments, and the occasional uncashed check. It's so convenient that they're never home.

rockygrace said...

Okay, so we're all, um .... relocators of plants.

Except for Rob, who is evidently taking this to a whole other level. :)

Heather said...

The title..I thought someone stole your ice cream. LOL!

I do it too. Most of the flowers I get are from the side of the roads, were they are going to get mowed down anyway.