Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Oh, boy, am I pissed (Now with updates!)

People I am currently waiting to hear from:

1. The mechanic, with an estimate for replacing my timing belt. Okay, okay, the car's timing belt. I called him yesterday, and he said he'd call me "right back" with the price. Yeah.

2. The locksmith. I've been trying to get a doorlock situation at the house remedied since, oh, last August. (Dear robbers: All of the locks work. I just don't like the type of lock. Repeat: All of the locks work. Just so you know. You robbers.) This particular locksmith got involved about a week ago, and said he'd have someone give me a call and let me know when one of his guys would be stopping by. Still waiting.

3. The furnace guy. Jesus CHRIST what is with this guy? He finally showed up a while back to put in the new blower motor, but the furnace STILL isn't running right, and he was going to just pop by when he got a break in his schedule. That was ....... weeks ago? Maybe months? F*ck.

4. The plate-glass window guy, who was out to lunch when I called an hour ago and ...... oh wait! He's on the phone. Hallelujah. Be right back.

Okay, so the plate-glass window guy said come right over, bring your windows, and I did. And he said he could replace the broken glass in my storm windows, no problem, and he'd - uh oh - "give you a call when they're ready." Shit. F*ck me.

I know I've ranted about this before, but WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET SOMEONE TO FIX SOMETHING AROUND HERE? I am paying GOOD MONEY to get this shit fixed and WHY WILL NO ONE RETURN MY CALLS and HEY KIDS GET OFF OF MY LAWN.

Sheesh.



Updated to add: The mechanic just called back. He wants a thousand dollars to replace the timing belt. A. thousand. dollars. Granted, that includes a new water pump (which the car does not need; it was replaced two years ago, thankyouverymuch) and a system flush, but still. It's a THIRTY-FIVE DOLLAR PART. Calling other garages in three ....... two ...... one......

Updated AGAIN to add: See the comments for the latest development!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

He wants to replace the water pump because of the location of the timing belt -- easier to do them both at once and the philosophy is that it's like insurance (do it while you have everything disassembled).

But seriously? The price is a complete overcharge and you're right to say no thanks. Then again...it's not rocket science...

http://www.ehow.com/video_4978616_timing-belt-water-pump-changing.html

rockygrace said...

I've already got a price from another garage for three hundred bucks - SEVERAL HUNDRED less than what that joker wanted.

And my faith in humanity has been restored ... the plate-glass-window guy just stopped by my office, WITH MY RESTORED WINDOWS, and DID NOT CHARGE ME A DIME! Granted, the company I work for steers a lot of work his company's way, but still ..... SAME DAY SERVICE! FOR FREE! The angels sang.

Fish Food said...

Thank God for the plate glass window guy!!!!

He's a restorer of faith in humanity!

Heather said...

Sounds like a good rant was really needed and produced some fabulous results.
NOW about that furnace guy, go to his place and kick his.. (you know what)!

Exador said...

Ain't home ownership fun?

Count your blessings. We had a major fire in the backyard at casa del Exador!

I'll be doing a blog post about it as soon as I can do it without pissing off Mrs Schwartz.

Guess who's fault it was.

rockygrace said...

Major fire?! Holy cow! Post, please.

As far as fault goes, I'm guessing the dogs. I don't want to piss off Mrs. Schwartz, either. :)

Compound said...

I too have moved to the rural black hole of service hell and I feel your pain. I have gotten quotes of $200 to service the pool and once a quote of $10K for yard work and $17K for a new well! I said ok for shits and giggles even though all the above mentioned quotes were insane and, yeah, no one ever showed up to take advantage of me!! Good luck with your stuff and nice yard!