Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Whut whut!

Today is ....... drumroll please ....... my twenty-third anniversary of working for the company on whose computer I am typing as we speak.

Hard to believe that I've been here for twenty-three years. Whoa. And it's not even my first job - I am actually celebrating (or mourning, depending on how you look at it) thirty years in the full-time workforce this year.

Holy SHIT I'm old.

Here's some completely unasked-for advice on how to survive working for twenty-three years for the same company:

1. Keep your head down. DO NOT get involved in office politics, no matter how tempting it may be. Loyalties shift, and you could find yourself out the door if you back the wrong pony.

2. Keep your head up. Make sure your boss hears about your accomplishments. If you don't toot your own horn, you'll get run over by more assertive employees.

3. Keep learning. Almost anything is job-related, when you think about it, so never turn down an opportunity to take a class or learn a new program, whether or not it directly applies to what you're doing at the time.

4. Have fun. If you don't look forward to going to work every morning, you don't necessarily need to quit, but you do need to speak to your boss about how to make your work more enjoyable. If there's simply no way to accomplish that, you're in the wrong place, and it's time to move on. I can honestly say that I laugh at work every single day, and I'm glad to be here. That being said, work is, after all, work. It's not always fun, it's not always easy, and keep in mind that you are there to serve the company, not the other way around.

So! That's all the advice I have for now. Happy anniversary to me! And hopefully many more.

6 comments:

Fish Food said...

Definitely cause for congratulations! 23 years at the same employer? Wow!

So, congratulations to you!

Anonymous said...

5. Find a job at which you can blog and play around on Facebook :D

Congratulations on your 23/30 years! You certainly are committed.

My word verification is "ragiest." He's so angry; he's the ragiest person I know!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rockygrace said...

Thanks, Fish!

Kate, definitely with the blogging - I'm too old for Facebook. :) And "ragiest" should be a word.

Rechelle said...

Great work advice. Congratulations for 23 years!

Heather said...

Cograts on 23rd anniversary.

I wish hubby had the people patience to last that long at a place.