Thursday, February 04, 2010

Movie Review - "District 9"

I didn't really have a lot of preconceptions about "District 9" - I knew it was about aliens kept in an internment compound, but that was about it.

It turned out to be a story about one person, and how that person's feelings change based on the reality he is experiencing, and it was really, really good.

Until about the last third, when it morphed into a bloated, shoot-em-up, CGI-laden extravaganza. I didn't like that part much, but I'm sure people who like that kind of thing loved it.

So? Sure! People who like a more "human" story will like the first part, and people who like special-effects-laden over-the-top stuff will like the last part. Everybody's happy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought my husband this DVD for Christmas (because nothing says the holidays like aliens in a gulag) -- he totally concurs with your assessment. Being a guy, he liked all the CGI blammity at the end, though.

rockygrace said...

I WAS kind of surprised that it's up for best picture. I mean, it's good, but I didn't think it was THAT good.

Fish Food said...

I didn't like it.

I thought it was a very naive thinly veiled allegory on South African appartheid...

And I don't like the CGI blammity stuff either.

Nah.

Heather said...

I remember the previews, not my kind of movie. Sounds like hubby will like it though.