Thursday, October 30, 2008

That's why the lady is a tramp


Back when I was a kid, "tramp" was a popular Halloween costume. (That's my sister TIB on the left (the one in a tramp outfit, holding a BEER CAN (how prescient is THAT, is all I'm sayin')), and me on the right, circa 1966 or so. I have no idea what the hell my costume was; it looks like there's a cartoon rabbit on the front, but I have no clue what that red thing on my head is supposed to be.)


The "tramp" or "hobo" costume was ideal for last-minute trick-or-treaters; you just threw on some of your dad's old clothes, rubbed some charcoal on your face, and you were good to go. If you wanted to go into a little more detail, you could take a pillowcase, stuff it with some towels, and tie it to the end of a stick for your "belongings".


And looking at this picture, I wondered if kids still dress up as tramps. But then, I realized that yesterday's "tramp" is today's "homeless person", and it's probably not very politically correct to dress up as "that bum who lives under the bridge and panhandles in the K-Mart parking lot" for Halloween.


Then again, if Metrodad can dress his little girl as an underage Chinese Olympic gymnast for Halloween, I guess anything goes!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You were definitely a bunny and your mom made you wear your winter puffball hat (I had one of those, only it was white) because it was cold outside or something. I bet you had a powderpuff pinned to your butt.

The son of a friend is going as an old-school rapper. The kid is this little scrawny Jewish boy, so I snuck him some Beastie Boys while Mommy wasn't looking.

My kid will be Dorothy, complete with the red shoes and a little Toto dog. Kewl.

rockygrace said...

Red shoes! Excellent!