Friday, October 31, 2008

The Good Little Witch



This photo was taken on Halloween in 1967, when I was almost five. My Mom made this witch costume, and I LOVED it. It had orange appliqued bats and cats, and orange fringe, and a hat with a buckle - what's not to love?


I have no idea what I was doing with my hands in this picture - maybe Mom told me to "act witchy", and that was the best I could do. Hey, I was four years old - cut me some slack!


Also, check out the haircut. No wonder my Dad called me "bowl bean".


Oh, and that bush on the right? We had bushes like that all across the front of the house. They grew to Olympian size and had to be trimmed back a couple times a year. And they would grow little red fruit-things in the fall, and my sister TIB would grab a handful of fruit-things, tell me they were poison, and then chase me around the yard, trying to shove them in my mouth.



Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you were showing how old you were. Moms realize (on the later kids) that they will not recall how old their kids are when they go back through the picture box. I have been known to sneak a calendar into shots with my kid.

rockygrace said...

If I was showing how old I was, then I guess that proves how early my struggles with math started!:)

But yeah, I was the youngest of six, so I can understand how Mom would've wanted some hints. Even though she would've been horribly mislead (misled? I'm not sure)by me in this pic.

Danger said...

A buckled hat? Isn't that for pilgrims?

listie said...

Ah, the dreaded yew berries. I remember having yew berry fights with my sister (and also being told they were deadly poisonous - check this out: http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/poison/poison.html)

rockygrace said...

Yeah, Danger, I kind of wondered about that buckle ......

And Listie, holy cow! They really ARE poisonous!