Monday, October 27, 2008

......And Boy, Are My Arms Tired

So! Yesterday, I raked leaves. Wet, heavy leaves. It rained all day Saturday, and even though the rain stopped by Saturday night, by yesterday morning, those leaves were still soaked. And yet I went ahead and raked anyway, even though I had made up my mind that I would not rake wet leaves.


Why, you ask? Because I have a maple tree that hates me in my backyard. Truly, this tree is evil. It's huge, and it waits until the last possible moment to drop its leaves. long after all the other maples in the neighborhood are bare. And when those leaves finally come down, it's a good four-hour project to get them all to the curb.


I decided to outsmart the tree this year. I decided to rake once when about half the leaves were down, making it an easier job, and then rake the remainder in a couple of weeks, avoiding the palm-blistering, shoulder-aching four hour marathon.


But! I forgot to factor "wet, heavy" leaves into my equation. And so what should've taken me a couple of hours yesterday took me three and a half hours. And I'll still have to rake again when the rest of the leaves come down.


Evil tree wins again. But watching teh kittens jump around in the leaf piles was pretty entertaining.

4 comments:

listie said...

I feel your pain. Our house is surrounded by maple trees. I rake and then I rake again. And again. And again. And when I'm done with ours, the neighbors' leaves blow into our yard and I get to rake theirs as well.

rockygrace said...

Oh, let's not even SPEAK of the neighbors' trees .....

Unknown said...

I am the neighbor with the huge messy tree. The (bleepin idiot) who lived in the house before me planted a little maple that grew and grew to be a 40 ft. tree. Crazy.

rockygrace said...

So YOU'RE the bad guy, eh?!