Thursday, October 23, 2008

Poser

Especially at this time of year, health care professionals keep telling people to "wash your hands, wash your hands, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD wash your hands" to prevent illness.


Here's the question: Is this supposed to prevent ME, the hand-washer, from getting sick, or prevent THOSE AROUND ME from catching my (possible) illnesses?


Because it seems to me like I could wash my hands all day, but if I then walk into a germ-filled office, I'm screwed.


So is this supposed to be, like, a collective effort? If we ALL wash our hands, nobody's getting sick? Because, I mean, I wash my hands anyway, but I never realized I could be doing it for purely altruistic purposes, i.e., preventing other people from catching my (theoretical) illnesses.


And I swear I am the ONLY PERSON in the office who washes their hands after using the restroom, which is kind of nausea-inducing if you think about it. I mean, these guys are handing me paperwork and stuff! Bleeecccchhhhh.

6 comments:

Exador said...

It protects you too. The idea is that you have washed or disinfected your hands between the time you pick up somebody's germs and then touch your food/mouth/nose/eye. In other words, transport the germ to someplace where it can get into your body.
I'm a big fan of the no-name Purel sanitizer stuff.

I always wonder...after I wash my hands in the bathroom, I then have to touch the door knob to get out, so don't I just pick up the germs of every bozo that didn't wash their hands?

rockygrace said...

Whew! I'm glad to know that I'm benefitting myself as well, and not just OTHER PEOPLE. 'Cause that would suck. :)

And I know this is gonna sound insanely weird (hey, that's how I roll!), but sometimes I use a paper towel to open the door. So I can avoid touching the doorknob. Just call me Howard Hughes.

Exador said...

You're in good company, Howie. I sometimes reach to the top of the door and grab the edge to open it.

3carnations said...

I am a compulsive handwasher. If hubby doesn't wash his hands after giving the cat a treat, I freak. I don't want "cat treat hand" touching something I eat. I'm not sure he agrees. I will continue to say it, though. Eventually he gets annoyed and washes them.

rockygrace said...

Oh, wow, 3carnations, I could totally freak you out with a story about how my cats use my TMJD device (which I have to wear IN MY MOUTH at night) as a chew toy ....

I'll keep quiet, though. You're welcome.

Unknown said...

I wash hands about fifteen times a day and use hand sanitizer. You might also, for self-preservation's sake, think about picking up a plastic tube of Lysol Wipes and do the doorknob of your work bathroom and the handset of your phone. I throw a tube of these in my briefcase because professors refuse to cancel classes when they are sick, so instead they hack all over the teacher's station and leave their snotty tissues stuffed in the computer bay. Gross. Just cancel your damn classes already. No one's life is going to end if they miss your thrilling recap of post-war economic policies and the rest of us won't feel like death for the next three weeks. Anyhow, wipe down shared surfaces even if it makes you feel like you're going overboard.

Mainly, though, I find that getting enough sleep to keep my immune system going is the most reliable way to stay healthy. If I get a string of six-hour nights going, I'm sure to wind up toting the Kleenex box room to room.