Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Movie Reviews - "Baby Mama" and "Superbad"

First up, "Baby Mama". I finally got around to watching this one, several months after everyone else in the free world saw it. Hey, I'm retro! Anyway, I really wanted to like this one, and it got pretty good reviews, but ..... well...... I thought it was just "meh".

Next, "Superbad". I taped this one (on my VCR! Because I am ANCIENT) the other night when it came on Encore at, like, three a.m. And I had really low expectations, because I'm not real fond of the whole "American Pie" genre. But "Superbad" cracked my ass up. Seriously, I was laughing out loud. When Seth throws a tirade at the Home Ec teacher? I think everybody who ever had to take Home Ec can relate to that. And then, when he's making .... well ..... obscene gestures behind the back of his classmate ........ HAHAHAHAHA!! And the dick illustrations that rolled with the end credits ..... I want to know WHO DREW THOSE, so I can shake his hand. Because I am, evidently, a twelve-year-old boy.

So! "Baby Mama" - meh. "Superbad" - Excellent! I would definitely watch that one again. Oh! And speaking of watching again, there are some movies that I call "time suck" movies. These are movies that, if I happen to find them playing while flipping through channels on a Saturday afternoon, I will end up watching all the way through, almost against my will, even though I've seen them (several times) before. "Parenthood" comes immediately to mind. I have no idea how many times I've seen that movie, but it's ..... well ....... lots. It just sucks me in, and I HAVE TO WATCH IT.

Does anybody else have movies like that? Movies that suck you in and make you watch them?

(Oh! Also! "Sixteen Candles". Must ........ watch ......... Sixteen Candles.)

4 comments:

Danger said...

Once, MacGyver, our friend, and I got sucked into a terrible movie at 1 AM: Bring It On Again. We repeatedly tried to turn it off, but we couldn't. I promised I'd never speak of it, but it has been a lead weight on my soul.

rockygrace said...

Haaa! At least I'm not alone ....

Meredith said...

ok, so I found your blog after that awesome comment you just put on mine about boys who lie. Perfect reply and right on the money...love it and you are so right. Definitely NO boyfriend badmouthing taking place on my end..just no clue what to say to the girl who is sobbing in my bed:( So, thanks again for your insight I'm looking forward to sharing any comments I get with her.

Back to YOUR post. I have seen Superbad at least 5 times and it still cracks me up to the point of peeing myself. If you liked it - you should definitely check out Pineapple Express when it hits cable...just as funny I think.

rockygrace said...

Meredith - Thanks for stopping by! The whole relationship thing sure can turn into a big old mess, can't it? I guess all you can offer your friend is words of comfort. And sometimes chocolate cake helps. Washed down with a ton of alcohol. (Kidding)(Sort of)

And I'll definitely check out Pineapple Express.