Thursday, October 09, 2008

Above and Beyond

The Runt is down.

And have I got a story for you .....

On Monday night, my neighbor's (two doors down, diagonal to my backyard) dogs treed The Runt in their backyard. I did not discover this until Tuesday morning, when he had not come home and I went looking for him. My neighbor and I spent all day Tuesday trying to get The Runt to come down. No luck. The neighbor placed a twenty-foot ladder against the base of the tree, hoping The Runt would come down far enough so we could reach him, but he stayed too high up.

Oh! and have you ever seen a cat poop in a tree? I have. Turns out that they pee in trees, too. Stand back.

Wednesday morning, The Runt was still up the tree. I had to go in to work, but my neighbor said he would keep trying to get The Runt down. He was keeping his dogs out of the backyard, afraid they would scare The Runt worse.

When I got home Wednesday afternoon, The Runt was out of the tree! I went over to profusely thank my neighbor*, who had spent as much time trying to help The Runt out of the tree as I had.
When I asked him when The Runt had come down, he said, "Welllll, he didn't come down." I gasped and said, "did you ..........", and he said, "Yep. I went up after him."

This guy, whom I did not know from Adam before my cat met his tree, had climbed to the top of the twenty-foot ladder, called to The Runt for half an hour until he got close enough to grab, and then one-armed him down the ladder, getting scratched in the process.

There are still good people out there. You just have to meet them.


*(And yes, there was a thank-you card and gift involved. I'm not a complete heathen.)

4 comments:

3carnations said...

Um...is this guy single? Because that's totally the type of guy you want to get involved with. Or does he have a brother, at least?

rockygrace said...

Nope, not single. And not my type, anyway - other than the whole "will get cats out of trees" thing, which, admittedly, is a HUGE deal.

But the brother idea? Hmmmmm....

Unknown said...

HURRAY! Can you put something like fox pee powder under the tree to keep the kitty out of the tree?

With winter coming on, I guess the outdoor opportunities for the kitties will be curtailed anyhow.

rockygrace said...

Bridgett, you'd better believe that I just googled "fox pee powder"!

In addition to cold weather coming, they'll be old enough to be neutered in a few more weeks, and I'm hoping that'll calm 'em down some.