Monday, October 20, 2008

Ooooohhh....Spoooooooky.......

First, a little backstory: I live in an apartment building. My apartment and the apartment next to mine both have access to the attic, which is plywood-floored and is used for storage. There are two lights in the attic; bare bulbs in fixtures attached to the rafters, one on each side of the attic. The lights are turned on and off by pull cords.

So! On Sunday afternoon (after the Bills WON, holy shit they're having a winning season; it's like a MIRACLE), I went to put some stuff up in the attic. I went up the (pull-down) stairs, turned on the light, and noticed that the light on the other side of the attic was also on. I thought that was kind of weird, as that apartment's been vacant for a while now, but I knew that workers had been over in that apartment, and I figured that one of them must have gone up in the attic for whatever reason, and then forgotten to turn off the light.

So the light was on. And then, as I watched, it sort of ........ browned out. Just faded out, until the light was off. "Huh!" I thought. "It must have just burned out, just then".

And then the light came back on again. And then went off. And then back on.

And then I hightailed it back down the stairs.



Here's the thing. I grew up in a haunted house. You can call bullshit all you want, but I know whereof I speak. I am intimately acquainted with things that go bump in the night. And that's why I can't watch those ghost-hunting shows on TV; I lived that shit. And I don't want to EXPERIENCE IT AGAIN.

So: Dear possible-ghost-in-my-building: I am warning you. If you come anywhere near me, I will kick the living shit out of you. Just knock off the bullshit with the attic light RIGHT NOW, and go find somewhere else to live. Someplace whose occupants will find your antics amusing, or at least intriguing. Because I HAVE HAD IT WITH GHOSTS. And I WILL kick your ghost ass if you don't leave me alone. Got it? Good. Now GO.

7 comments:

Poetry Echoes said...

Ooo! I have a book you should read next: Jodi Picoult's Second Glance. You'll love it. ;-)

Unknown said...

Jabba? Jabba, is that you?

He was a pretty unhappy guy with an unpleasant death, after all.

rockygrace said...

Kerri, I've read some Jodi Picoult, but I don't think I've read Second Glance - I'll have to check it out.

And Bridgett, Jabba definitely crossed my mind. Kicking HIS ghost ass, if necessary, will be a pleasure.

rockygrace said...

.... I just checked out "Second Glance" on Amazon. Ha ha, Kerri, very funny! :)

Unknown said...

So you don't subscribe to the "all they need is just a little mercy and understanding" school?

Naw, neither do I. I'm using this space now, ghostie. Go someplace else.

Exador said...

Maybe you should be less scared of ghosts and more scared of dying in an electrical fire.
Sounds like you have a wierd short somewhere.

rockygrace said...

Bridgett - No mercy here. Piss off, ghost.

And Exador, the wiring thing crossed my mind, as well.