I make catnip toys for my rescue group to sell at adoption events. They're just bits of mouse-shaped fabric, stuffed with catnip and polyfill, with little ribbon tails sewed in.
Email I got tonight from the FC:
"Let's keep the ribbon off the catnip toys. I've had several people express concern, then last month one of the agway employees was upset that we had it on the toys cause her cat was euthanized because he had a tumor on his tongue that may have been caused by a piece of ribbon."
My reply (and I have to tell you, I REALLY reined it in here):
"Wow ... If people are too stupid to take a pair of scissors and CUT the ribbon off of a toy if they think it's dangerous ... well, I have no words. And that Agway employee? Yep, we'd better ban ALL ribbon, EVERYWHERE, in memory of her cat. I'll just stop making the stupid things if people are having a cow over them."
I really, REALLY wanted to throw in a bunch of f-bombs, but the FC is a former Mennonite, so I didn't think it would be appropriate.
Okay, first off. I am currently looking at a cat toy that I bought at PetSmart last weekend. It's a big stuffed mouse, with long arms and legs. And a piece of ribbon tied around the neck. And jingle bells on its feet that could be chewed off and swallowed. Ditto, button eyes. And feathers. And a piece of elastic (gasp!) attached for pulling it along the floor.
Yes, cats can swallow ribbon. It can happen. They can also swallow tinsel and yarn and string and sewing thread and twist ties and NINE MILLION OTHER THINGS that the average household contains. One of my co-worker's dogs almost died when he ate one of his girlfriend's tampons.
BAN TAMPONS. SAVE THE DOGS.
Jesus f*cking CHRIST. I give UP.