Friday, March 16, 2012

THIS. THIS is why.

As some of you may know, I am afraid of heights. Like, REALLY afraid of heights. And I also like to hike, which brings up a problem, because lots of hikes end at scenic vistas that are waaaaaay up high, which … NO.

But I’m not paranoid, I’m really not. I live near an area of the country with lots of gorges, and lots of hiking trails NEAR the gorges, and at least two or three times a year, THIS happens:

(From new reports) - “MONTOUR FALLS, N.Y. —
Authorities say they’ve recovered the body of a 20-year-old man who fell more than 100 feet into the gorge at Havana Glen Park in Montour Falls while hiking with friends.
Officials in Schuyler County haven’t confirmed the death, but they’ve told local media outlets that a rescue effort launched Wednesday turned into a “recovery” mission later that night.
A local fire chief said the body would be taken to Schuyler Hospital.
Friends of the man say he was taking a picture in Havana Glen Park around 6 p.m. Wednesday when he fell over a handrail and plunged into the gorge.
The Schuyler County Sheriff’s Office says no other information is being released Thursday morning."

Man, I can just PICTURE this. “Okay, guys, picture time! Shelly, you stand next to Kathy. Pete, you get behind them. Now everybody move to the right, so you’re in the center of the shot. Okay, now I need to take a couple of steps back …”

I’m not paranoid. I’m SMART.

No comments: