Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fun with insurance agents

My insurance agent is kind of a douche. (Oh, hell, let’s make that “definitely” instead of “kind of”.) Back when I bought the house, there was an issue with the flood insurance, and instead of being helpful, he was just kind of, “Well, you go ahead and research that, and let me know what you find out, mmmkay?”

I’m pretty sure I’ve ranted about this dude here before, but I’m too lazy to look it up right now. I’ve been thinking about switching insurance companies for a while. I finally got off my ass and called another company the other day, and guess what? They could save me three hundred bucks a year on my car insurance!

So, just for fun, I emailed my current insurance agent. “Guess what!” Haha, no, I didn’t actually say that. But I did let him know what the other company would charge, and asked if his company can match it.

And this dude, who lets DAYS go by without answering emails when I have a pesky question about my coverage, got back to me in, like, six nanoseconds.

“Good news!,” he wrote. “We have all kinds of new programs that took effect February 6, and I’m sure I can get you a better rate!”

Hmm … February 6. Which was, like, almost two months ago. That’s funny – I don’t remember a notice that my rates were going down. Gee, I guess he FORGOT TO MENTION IT.

So he emails me back a little later, and – SURPRISE! He can get me a lower rate. Lower, as in thirty-five percent lower than what I had been paying. Lower, as in three hundred and fifty bucks a year lower.

So I mailed him back. “Ed,” I said, “Would you be offering me this lower rate if I hadn’t told you I was thinking of switching companies?”

Douche.

God, insurance agents are jerks.

Oh, but it gets better. He emailed me back, “state insurance law prohibits me from contacting you about better programs.”

Which is really, really funny, because later that day? When I stopped by his office? There was a gal in the back, going down a list of clients, calling and offering the new, improved program.

Hmm.

Okay, I could go on and on with this, but bottom line? I WAS paying $993.00, and I will now be paying $580.00 a year. For the same coverage.

I guess I can afford that rug after all.

3 comments:

Birdie said...

Don't get me started on insurance. I had a leaky condo. It was so bad I had to have the outside walls removed from my condo? Not a penny. I had to declare bankruptcy. Insurance companies are big business and are not it as a public service.

OK, my rant is over.

~~Silk said...

Ha! Those Chinese lucky cats work!

rockygrace said...

Birdie, that's horrible!

and ~~Silk, yeah, maybe I'm on to something ...