Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pecos? Is that you?

First off, thank you for all of the cat name suggestions. I do appreciate it. I’m still searching for the perfect ones.

Right now it looks like Coby may stay Coby. It just … fits him. I was leaning toward “Otter” for a while, because he likes to lie on his back with his little front paws folding against his chest, but then I thought of Otter from Animal House and … no. He’ll stay Coby for now, and maybe for good, unless I can think of something better. Wait … maybe Cody? Like Buffalo Bill Cody? Hmmm…

And Goldie? I … don’t think so. Mainly because to me, “Goldie” is a girls’ name (think Goldie Hawn), so I keep calling poor him a her. The orange one needs a new name.

I thought I had one all picked out. “Buddy”. Because he’s friendly and sunny and he loves his friend Coby. But Buddy just doesn’t seem to fit him. I don’t know why. I think maybe because it seems like Mac or Buster or something like that – a macho name. And the orange one, well, he’s not a fighter. He’s small and sweet and … yeah, I’m stuck.

So over the weekend I went for a nice long walk, and I kept running through names, and for whatever reason “Pecos Bill” kept coming to mind, mainly I guess because I thought it was funny. “I can call him Billy,” I thought. Except I’m not a big fan of giving animals human names. (Yes, I am aware that "Coby would be breaking this rule.) I would sound silly standing out in the backyard calling “Billy! Billy!” The neighbors would think I lost a KID or something.



So. Back to Square One. I need a name for a small, sweet, orange boy cat. I am, of course, considering the names you guys already threw into the ring. And any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, going with the Wild West theme with Wild Bill “Coby”—you could name the orange guy-Bull (for Sitting Bull) or Custer, Chief, or Scout. If you are feeling contrarian, you could rename Goldie (drumroll) Silver.
I used to feel like you about naming pets with people names, but now that I have one it’s kind of fun to confuse people when telling them stories about “Jack.”

rockygrace said...

Thanks for your suggestions, Anon! I actually really like "Custer", but, well ... wasn't Custer pretty much a jerk?

Maybe I'm looking for a historical/Wild West figure who was a GOOD guy ... or what about ... famous horse or dog names from that era?

I know, I know, I'm asking a lot - as you can tell, I'm really struggling here.

Birdie said...

Trigger
Yam
Cantaloupe
Pekoe (Like Orange Pekoe tea)

~~Silk said...

Gabby, as is "Gabby Hayes"?
Chisholm, as in "Chisholm Trail"?
Cisco?
Pancho?
Dude?
Champ, Gene Autry's horse?
Scout, Tonto's horse?
Beans?
Cayne, as in Cayenne pepper?
Clancy?
Alfie?
Sunny?
Sonny?
Dandy?
Cheeto?
Pally?

Anonymous said...

Pony Boy (actually from the Outsiders). Famous horses include Commanche, Traveller, Winchester, Joker, Buck, Dynamite, Target, Trigger, Buckshot, Paint, Pardnor, Copper, Thunder, or Rusty?
Or, sticking with your old West theme how about 6-shot, Gunslinger, Sundance or Kid for the Sundance Kid, Butch, Doc Holiday, Renegade or Rebel?

rockygrace said...

Okay, so I did some research, and here are some contenders:

Fleeter or Butler (Civil War Horses)

Copper, Lucky, Rusty, Sunny and Topper (Famous horses according to Wikipedia)

Dover - a racehorse in My Fair Lady

Two Bits - I could call him Bitsy

Santa's Little Helper - Because the Simpsons are forever.

Birdie, I had a horse named Trigger when I was a kid! He looked just like the "real" Trigger.

~~Silk, right now, "Sunny" is leading the pack, and

Anon, I LOVE the name Pony Boy! I loved that book!

Okay, so right now Sunny and Pony Boy are leading the pack. Keep those suggestions coming! Thanks, guys!