Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Software? Sure. Hardware? Not so much.

My company is going to be buying me a personal PC and will be paying for home internet access so that I can work from home. And before you get all excited for me, please understand that my boss intends for me to work from home in addition to working at the office, as opposed to working from home instead of working at the office.

Sigh.


My boss is all, like, "We'll pay for it! Just get it all set up!" Which, you know, of course, make me do MORE WORK in addition to the whole work-from-home-AND-the-office thing.


So I call the cable company to add internet access to my cable service, and they tell me I've got to come pick up a "self-install kit", which, yeah, this whole thing is less appealing by the minute and has already canceled out the potential advantages of being able to play Penguin Diner in the comfort of my own home.

I go to the cable company office, which is like Dante's first circle of hell, with people standing in line all dead-eyed because they've been there forever, and the dude in line behind me has a cell phone that sounds like a f*cking weather siren going off every time it rings, making me jump out of my skin about twenty times (NOT FUNNY, MISTER), and I finally get to the head of the line and they hand me

a box the size of a freakin' Chrysler. Full of THIS:




yeah, I think I'm in trouble here. What the hell is that shit? I mean, the phone, I get, because I bundled my phone service in with the cable/internet package, but the rest of it? Huh? There's cables and boxes and I assume that big black thing is the router, which at least I know the name of it (maybe), but I have no idea what it's actually FOR. To ... route things?

Screw it, I'm gonna hire somebody to do the install. Life's too short.

And oh! Does anybody have any experience with Time Warner phone service? I've had Verizon for my land line for years, but now I'll be going with Time Warner. Pros? Cons? I mean, I know they're all horrible and awful, but I was just wondering what kind of special misery I may be in for now.

6 comments:

~~Silk said...

Of course they will pay you for any work you do at home, right? And you'll log it like lawyers do, round off to the nearest quarter hour, right?

~~Silk said...

Oh, yeah, don't forget to log all the waiting in line time, and installation time. Man, I could really soak this!

Birdie said...

The more time I try to figure out how all this new technology works the more I want to move to a small island with no TV, cell phone or Internet access. I get so confused.

Zazzu said...

What Silk said...log your time and don't work for free. Seems like that's what they have in mind but you can stand your ground, right?

Anonymous said...

I foresee this in your future:

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/10/caturday-cat-vs-printer-vid.html

- Bridgett

rockygrace said...

Dudes, Blogger is NOT letting me do anything right now. I had to sneak onto my own damn blog. No idea what's going on, but I'll be back as soon as I figure this crap out.

Sheesh.