Friday, November 05, 2010

Freaky Friday!

Way back this past spring I mentioned my Giant Wall O' Religion in a different Freaky Friday post, and then forgot to show it to you. So, here 'tis:




This was inspired by the awesomely terrifying statue of Saint Jude I found a while back. Now, whenever I find a piece of religious imagery sufficiently tacky and/or strange, up it goes on the wall.


The local Catholic religious store is a gold mine for this stuff. I'll tell you what, you walk into the local evangelical religious store and it's all rote-issue bibles and crosses and boring. You walk into the Catholic store, and it's, like, BLAM! Bleeding hearts and daggers and angry angels and ... oh, it's fantastic, is what it is.


Ya gotta love those crazy Catholics.

5 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

For a wedding gift, one of my far-flung relatives (who wasn't even invited to the wedding) sent us this horrible wood carving of the Last Supper. It was truly terrifying. I mean, Jesus looked like he was SCREAMING IN AGONY.

I'm regretting I got rid of it, because it would go perfectly on your wall. :)

rockygrace said...

At a flea market a while back, I saw a lighted manger scene done with a seashell theme (evidently a Florida souvenir?), and I'm STILL mad I didn't buy it. Jesus on the half-shell!

Holly said...

My mom had a Virgin Mary night-light which I coveted for a long time.

rockygrace said...

That's it. I'm heading over to ebay RIGHT NOW.

Anonymous said...

Dude, this reminds me of this blog I used to read. Had this post (http://sexiestalexi.blogspot.com/2005/03/i-bet-you-dont-have-holy-water-bottle.html) about going to this crazy tacky store, and the store apparently had a "religious time" section for all your gaudy religious needs. You'd be in heaven methinks.

I find this stuff amusing myself, but since I'm married to a man who was raised Catholic, I have to curb my ridicule. A little.