Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Spreckles



Please to ignore the scratch on her nose; I'm pretty sure that was inflicted by her brother in one of their wrestling matches.

Those black spots on the end of her nose aren't dirt. When the cats were about a year old, I noticed some black spots in The Runt's mouth when he yawned, which led to a tussle and hold-down so I could see what was going on in there. There were random black spots, kind of like freckles or specks, on his gums. A few months later I noticed some on Little Girl's gums, and then some on The Runt's eyelids. The ones on Little Girl's nose showed up last, about six months ago.

A little worried (OMG IT'S CANNNNNNCCCEEERRRRRRRRRR), I asked the vet about it, and she said that it's a quirk of orange cats. I asked her if the spots were freckles, and she said no, they were "random pigmentation". A little nosing (heh) around on line revealed that the technical term is "lentigo simplex", just in case it ever comes up in a trivia contest. About spots. On cats.

Little Girl calls them beauty marks.

2 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Our orange cat has those too, and we made a frantic call to the vet only to find out (like you did) that they're normal.

I think they're adorable.

Anonymous said...

Diego has 'em too. I just thought he was a mutant like the rest of us.