Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Patron Saints

So! After all the excitement over Saint Jude, I did a little googling to see how many patron saints there are.


Holy cow, you crazy Catholics, there's, like, a ton of them!


As ~~Silk pointed out in the earlier post, Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes, which is actually kind of perfect for me. But I did find some others who would also fit:

Patron saint of Doubters: Saint Joseph. Gardeners: St. Fiacre, St. Sebastian. Notaries: St. Luke, St. Mark. Secretaries: St. Genesius. Stenographers: St. Cassian Tangiers.


There's some I can only aspire to, like St. Christopher, the patron saint of travelers, and St. Sophia, the patron saint of wisdom. I could find no patron saint of beer drinkers, which is probably just as well.



Now, I'm not sure how authentic some of the ones I found are. I mean, there's a patron saint for illegal drug dealers? Really? And kidnap victims? I mean, are there really that many kidnap victims that they need their own saint? Oh, and how about "Tongue Trouble"? Allegedly, there's a patron saint for that, too, which sounds kind of sketchy to me.



Oh, and evidently there's a patron saint for "Enemies of Religion", which is kind of surprising, seeing as how Catholics are not really that tolerant of non-believers. Why would they give us non-believers our very own patron saint? And I mean, it's not like we non-believers are going to believe in our patron saint, or anything.



luckymojo.com/patronsaints lists a whole boatload of patron saints. Did you know that the patron saint of basket-makers is Saint Hilarion? Sounds like a pretty funny guy. *groan* (Sorry, I just couldn't pass that up.)

I think I'll make up my own patron saint. Saint I'm-Trying-My-Best-Here, maybe. And who's the patron saint of home repair? I could use him right about now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, are you ever in luck!! Tons of saints associated with beer -- brewing, consumption, etc:

http://www.beerhistory.com/library/holdings/patron_saints.shtml

Fish Food said...

I don't think that the narco saint (Jesus Malverde) is officially a Catholic saint.

He's been adopted by those trying to get rich quickly by smuggling drugs for some reason.

Some countries - including their religious hierarchy - have a very informal attitude to their Catholicism, which is why some so-called 'Catholic countries' seem to be so corrupt & lawless, eg, various Southern American countries, Italy & Ireland.

Fish Food said...

Sorry... another thing:

I've never heard of St Joseph being the patron saint of doubters. Officially I am sure it's St Thomas (Doubting Thomas).

rockygrace said...

Bridgett, that's a fantastic link!

And Fish, sounds like you know your saints! What did Jesus Malverde do to make all the druggies like him?