Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Oh, have I got a story to tell you ....

Call me petty, but I experienced a little frisson of happiness this morning when I discovered that my ex-husband is now living in a trailer park.

Now I, myself, lived in a trailer park back in the day. A pretty run-down trailer park. Actually, I lived in a run-down trailer park with my then-husband back in the day. Because we were young and poor.

We were actually living in that run-down trailer park when I packed up and left him. Because, you see, I found out through trailer-park sources that he was sleeping with another woman. A married woman. A married woman with children.

(Note: You cannot get away with ANYTHING in a trailer park. They are like the worst little small-town Peyton Places EVER. Should you ever find yourself in a trailer park, BEHAVE, because if you don't, everybody in the place will know your bizness in about half a day. The trailer park grapevine is a mighty thing to behold.)

So! I left him, the woman left her husband, they moved in together, and here's where the story gets REALLY GOOD.

When I left him, ex-husband and I agreed to split the cost of the divorce 50-50. I should have made him pay for the whole damn thing, but I knew the odds of that happening were zero, so I decided to settle for half. I had my half of the money and went on with my new single life in my new apartment (over a bar) (movin' on up!), waiting for him to cough up his half of the dough so we could make the break official.

Fast-forward to several months later, when I'm in the parking lot of a local grocery store. An EXTREMELY PREGNANT woman walks up to me, says, "Um .... excuse me? Are you *Insert first name here*? *Insert first name here* *Insert last name here*?"

"Yes," I said. "Do I know you?"

Yeah, you got it.

It was the ex-husband's new girlfriend, whom he had managed to knock up in world-record time, and she was just about to pop.

"Why won't you give him a divorce?" she asked. "We want to get married so we can give the baby his last name."

How honorable, I thought. I then explained that we had agreed to split the cost 50-50, and that as soon as he coughed up his share, we would divorce. ASAP would be fine with me. Yesterday, if possible, as far as I was concerned.

"Oh!" she said. "He told me that you were refusing to divorce him, and that's why we can't get married!"

"Honey", I said gently. "Is that the first lie he's told you?"

"No", she said quietly, a sad look coming over her face. "I'm sorry to bother you."

And she walked away.

I don't know what happened to her or the kidlet, but my ex is now living, by himself, in a trailer park.

And because I am mean and petty, this little factoid makes me happy.

The End.

6 comments:

the queen said...

I love that story too. Justice is served! That doesnt make you mean or petty.

Unknown said...

Moral of the story: lying liars lie. If he's willing to cheat on his wife to be with you, that tells you all you'd ever need to know about his ethics.

My ex-boyfriend (who dumped me because I was "fat"- meaning 5'5" and 140 pounds) is now married to a ginormous woman who needs a motorized cart to haul herself around Walmart. It's a shame that their comeuppance, such as it is, comes at the expense of other women.

Fish Food said...

Love that story. That is come-uppance with a vengeance.

Heather said...

Great story of justice.
I live in a trailer and there are three more around me, but it's out in the country and folks tend to keep to themselves around here.

But I have lived in larger trailer parks in the city and it is so true that you can't even fart with out someone knowing it.

rockygrace said...

I've seen some beautiful trailers! None of them were in the trailer park I lived in.

As far as the ex goes, I guess I've just got a case of Schadenfreude - getting pleasure out of someone else's pain. And after what I went through with him, I'm not gonna apologize for it.

What WOULD be poetic justice would be if he was back in the same park we used to live in! *snort*

Holly said...

That story is like a big fat kiss on the face. I have schadenfreude envy.