Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Playing favorites

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be buying some plants to fill in bare spots in my garden and around the perimeter of the house. I brought some of my favorites from the old place with me: Tiger lilies, asiatic, oriental and turks-cap lilies, bleeding hearts, lilies-of-the-valley, phlox, hydrangeas and rose-of-sharons all came along and are doing well as transplants. Well, the rose-of-sharons are kind of iffy, but I think they're gonna pull through.



Some things I had to leave behind because they were simply too big or too root-bound to move: Lilacs, ferns, azaleas and rhododendrons all stayed behind. I didn't bring the poppies or the columbine, either, because they had died back for the summer at the time of the move and I was afraid they wouldn't transplant well.

When the trees and bushes at the edge of the new place started to leaf out this spring, I was surprised to find that I had lilacs! The white kind, though, not the purple which I prefer, so I did a lilac exchange with one of the guys at work: White lilacs bushes for purple ones, which he had at his place. It'll take a few years for the new plants to get established, but I've got time.

Oh! And I relocated some bluebells and ferns from the creek to the new place, and ordered some hibiscuses and a butterfly bush and a weeping cherry from mail-order, all of which have arrived and been planted. I'm still waiting on the magnolia - get on that, Michigan Bulb, would ya?

So! Back to the point. I'm going to be buying some more plants. Columbine, I think, to replace the one I had to leave behind. Maybe a trumpet vine, although I never had any luck getting them to bloom at the old place. Maybe wisteria, which I've never tried before. I was at Agway today and they had dutchman's pipe vines, which I remember my mom telling me was one of her favorite plants as a kid. I bought a heliotrope the other day, because the name sounded familiar to me, and then I learned that they're also called cherry pie plant because the blooms smell like cherry pie! So I gave mine a great big whiff, and yep, cherry pie it is. It's only an annual, though, so I'll have to dig it up and bring it inside this fall if I want to keep it around.

The point, the point, here it is: What's your favorite perennial plant? Preferably one with fragrant blossoms, that can make it through a Zone 5 winter (hardy to -20 degrees). Do you have a flower or plant or bush you remember fondly from your childhood?


What should I plant in my garden?

5 comments:

~~Silk said...

Favorites - the old fashioned irises with the big well-rounded flowers, in a pale blue-purple, hyacinths, and cyclamen. Cyclamen (sp?) has beautiful flowers in spring and summer, and the seed heads are interesting in late summer, fall, and all winter . Hyacinths smell wonderful planted near the front door.

BTW - rhododendron will root from cuttings in a jar of water. Maybe your old place will let you take some cuttings from this year's growth. (The best way to root a rhodie cutting is to scratch the bark a little, pin the branch, while it's still attached to the bush, to the ground in spring with a "U"-shaped staple made of wire, and it will root over the summer, then you cut it loose and dig it up in the fall.)

Logical Libby said...

I love hydrangea. Can't grow it, but I love it. My yard is so swampy we are actually planting bamboo.

rockygrace said...

~~Silk, my neighbors tell me that the deer here will eat rhododendrons and azaleas right down to the ground, so maybe I'd best leave them at the old place. I'll give cyclamen a try if I can find it!

And Libby, I've got a couple of spots in my backyard so soupy I'm scrounging the roadsides for cattails to import.

~~Silk said...

Oops! I got the name wrong! NOT CYCLAMEN! That's a house plant. I mean clemantis. See here: http://www.homeofclematis.net/

rockygrace said...

Oh, my neighbors have clematis! Evidently the deer won't eat that.