Friday, May 21, 2010

Freaky Friday - Neighborhood Edition

Directly behind the parking lot for what was supposed to be the new ice cream store* in my neighborhood lies the hermit house. From what I've been told, a hoarder lived there for many years. After he died/went into a nursing home/nobody's-sure-what-happened-but-he-doesn't-live-there-anymore, somebody bought the house and cleaned all the accumulated stuff out. They replaced some of the windows, and started work on the plumbing, and then, for whatever reason, abandoned it.




I've been told that approximately nine billion feral cats live there, but I didn't see any on the day I trespassed stopped by to take some pics.

Obligatory spooky basement:




Weird outbuilding with grass growing on the roof:



hahaha Rob, see that? IT'S STILL SNOWING HERE.**

I've been calling it the "hermit house", because that's what sprung to mind, but really, I think this looks like a good old-fashioned haunted house. I think I'll start telling the neighborhood kids ghost stories about the hermit ghost who lives in the house, just to scare the shit out of them and infuriate their parents when the kids insist on sleeping with them for the next ten years or so, because THE HERMIT GHOST MIGHT GET THEM IF THEY SLEEP IN THEIR OWN BED. Hey, not my problem! And besides, every neighborhood needs a haunted house, no?

Let's see: He has a hook for an arm and only comes out when the moon is shining .......




*Still just a vacant store. I'm not happy.

**Not really.

3 comments:

Rob said...

As I always look at the pictures before I read the text, imagine my relief when I realized that this wasn't YOUR house ... And yes, you certainly do have late Springs in upstate NY :)

Anonymous said...

I think real-life hoarders are far scarier than hermit ghosts with hooks, but that's just me.

No ice cream store? What a gyp.

My word verification is "goubles."

Badass Nature Girl said...

I bet that was a beautiful house back in it's day! There's a house like that about 10-15 minutes from here that I'll have to get a picture of for you. It's been bought and in various stages of renovation numerous times, but ultimately always abandoned again. Reports of possible haunting, and also too dangerously dilapidated and has caused injuries to workers. I love the house though.