Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Little Girl vs. the woodpecker

Last night, Little Girl decided she was going up a tree after a woodpecker.

When she was about forty feet up, the woodpecker hopped over to a nearby tree, and Little Girl had to figure out how to get back down.



These cats have a long and storied history of getting stuck in trees, which I'm too lazy to link to right now, but trust me, I knew last night's voyage down the tree wasn't gonna be pretty.



She started out coming down head-first, which works about as well as if you or I tried to come down a tree head-first.



She actually made it about ten feet down before she fell, and then she free-fell about another ten feet before - ooof! - catching a branch with her tummy, at which point she grabbed onto the branch with her front claws and - I shit you not - actually did a loop-the-loop around the branch, just like a circus aerialist, before falling again and - ooof! ooof! ooof! - catching branches all the way to the ground.



And then she sauntered away nonchalantly, all, "I meant to do that", while I laughed myself silly. What can I say - I'm a sucker for slapstick.



A little while later, The Runt decided to show her how it's done, and went up THE SAME DAMN TREE, about fifty feet, before realizing - dang! - he had to get back down again.



But The Runt, being the veteran stuck-in-tree-er that he is, hesitated only a moment before swinging around and heading down butt-first, the only sure way for safe egress from a tree.


Good job, Runt!





Little Girl with a recent conquest:





Check out the size of that frog! Don't worry, I scooped him up and carried him to the swamp out back, where he swam away good as new.

4 comments:

~~Silk said...

I guess that's why all my previous cats refused to come down while anyone was watching - thereby avoiding any chance of embarrassment.

(If this is a duplicate, it's because I got a 504 error on the first attempt, so I'm not sure it was posted.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a big frog! Jeez. Thankfully, my cats only act like they're going to climb a tree. They run up to one and look up at it like they're about to go for it and then run away. Sometimes they go up a couple feet. My little scaredy cats.

Heather said...

"I meant to do that", LMAO!!!

Thanks for the laugh!!

rockygrace said...

You know, I felt kind of bad, laughing at her, but when she swung around that branch like a gymnast on the high bar getting ready for her dismount, I lost it.

As a matter of fact, I'm laughing right now, just thinking about it.

Bad me.